Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Crackers and Muskets
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  17:06:16  Show Profile
Chris Kynoch, the PR man, has just unearthed and added as a feature to the MGCC website an article of interest to Triple-M members.
It's a Steve Dear article from 1972 Safety Fast!.
http://www.mgcc.co.uk/articles/crackers-muskets/
Enjoy
George

Edited by - George Wilder on 16/12/2015 17:07:27

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6026 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  18:57:45  Show Profile
The depressing thing is that this splendid article was written some 43 years ago about events that had happened less than 40 years previously. And 1972 seems like only yesterday!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1490 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2015 :  19:21:59  Show Profile
What a super read :)

Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) and MG Motor (BTCC) and a big prewar MG fan, who would love to own one.
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  22:48:28  Show Profile
"1972 seems only like yesterday" - certainly does Simon! Reading Steve Dear's article again brings back many happy memories of that time the three works cars ran as a Team in the 1972 Lands End Trial.

Here are two photos taken on Beggars Roost. Steve was with Jenny in JB7521, John Adams and Jonathan Toulmin in JB3854, and Katie and I in Aramis. John Thornley was our honorary team manager, reflecting his role in the 1930s. He's the chap on the R of our photo with a flat cap and a stripe down his jacket. He signed the photo at the first Trials Reunion at Mickleton in 1975.

We managed a 2nd Class award, failing Cutliffe Lane. Our small silver cup is a very modest addition to all the trophies you see in the article.

John R
PS I would like to have credited the Beggars' Roost photos but can't remember the photographer's name - my apologies.

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  10:33:12  Show Profile
Brings back happy memories for me too. I was running in the "B" Team in my pretty well standard NA and also won a 2nd. My failure was also at Cutliffe Lane, with the old car wallowing through deep mud at the bottom and barely getting through the gate - before the real hill even started. Later that year I re-visited the hill on a very hot summers day. The top of the lane was so overgrown, it was difficult to imagine that nearly 300 cars and bikes had passed that way only two months earlier. When I reached the top of the hill, the very steep surface was still very damp (mainly freshly laid cow-pats) despite the rest of the countryside around being bone dry. I came to the conclusion that if I had got any further on the trial itself, there was no way that the old NA could have cleaned the section.

Happy memories indeed.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  16:06:42  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the very nice photos John.

I first met Steve when I worked in Bristol in 1970 - how time flies!

JB7521 has a new owner and I understand it will be out trialling this winter; we are promised this very historic car for our stand at the MG & Triumph Spares day, Stoneleigh.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 20/12/2015 16:07:42
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  16:07:19  Show Profile
Wonderful photos.
Great news to learn that JB 7521 is returning to its proper element. I invite the present owner to join us on the Kimber Classic Trial April 9th.
It would be even better if we were to learn that JB 6867 was also returning to the trials hills but sadly I believe that will never happen. Oh that I were wrong! Can it really be 20 years since 6 Crackers set out together on the Land's End and finished in line astern; all winning awards
Alan.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  19:09:05  Show Profile
Alan, not sure what information leads you to be so negative!
Tout vient à qui sait attendre.

John R
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2015 :  09:11:46  Show Profile
Maybe you've been misinformed Alan .How do you know that nothing's happening Alan ?-))
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2015 :  10:33:37  Show Profile
John I remember asking you last year if you would be able to bring Aramis along to the Trials Reunion (after the Kimber), even if it meant loading the car onto a trailer. You assured me that Aramis would be there under its own power. I looked carefully, but didn't see it. The feeling of total despair was almost unbearable. I just can't take much more of this ! Please bear in mind that I live only an hour away from Beachy Head, and already I can feel an unseen power drawing me towards it !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2015 :  14:04:45  Show Profile
John,
I still have letter you wrote me over 40 years ago in which you stated Aramis would "soon" be back on the road. How do you define soon ?
If Aramis were to appear at the Kimber on April 9th I would present you with a bottle of champagne at the dinner.
Yours in (forlorn) hope,
Alan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000