Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 "Pacific Auto Rental" - Gay Divorcee J2 - again
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  22:35:32  Show Profile
A friend tells me that a Californian firm called "Pacific Auto Rentals" held a stock of cars in the 1930's and onwards which they hired to Hollywood studios. If, say, a British or European car was needed for "The Gay Divorcee" they could supply something suitable.

Is it possible "Pacific Auto Rentals" supplied the J2 for "The Gay Divorcee" and holds the key to what became of it?

It must have been an amazing collection and included an MG NA (it still exists) which is seen early on in the 1938 movie "Bulldog Drummond in Africa".

They also had a 1937 MG SA Charleswoth Tourer which joined the "Pacific Auto Rentals" collection in California in 1943, for use in films. It was in Alfred Hitchcock's "Rebecca" with Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine.

The SA remained in the collection (Pacific Auto) for 4 decades and was used in many feature films. It also appeared in "The Invisible Man" and "Love Letters" with Joseph Cotton and "Woman in Green" with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as Holmes and Watson..

I hope to be able to share a period image of the NA.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 14/09/2016 09:14:15

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2016 :  22:44:33  Show Profile
Here is an interesting link which my friend has just forwarded.

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/01/19/sia-flashback-inside-pacific-auto-rentals-legendary-treasure-trove/

Sam
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  21:33:57  Show Profile
Sam,

Bob Grunau will likely chime in with the some details about the J2. He's the current owner.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  21:59:59  Show Profile
Or the bonnet...

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3071&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=gay%2Cdivorcee

JH
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2016 :  22:34:19  Show Profile
"I read with interest this discussion re J3128, owned originally by Mr. Roos In California. I understand the car ended up in a wrecking yard in Mexico and was parted out. Some parts were salvaged and returned to LA area. I bought several parts from J3128 including radiator and shell and complete numbered bonnet with "J3128 R " stamped into the hinge. I have been collecting parts for a J Special and the radiator and bonnet will live again.
Bob Grunau, Canada"

Missed this before. So only parts survive....end of story. How sad.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 14/09/2016 22:35:03
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2016 :  18:23:23  Show Profile
J3128 is in progress of being restored. Chassis showed signs of a small V8 engine installation along with gearbox, now restored to original. Body has been restored using all new wood and aluminium panels. Good progress being made to complete a Marshall supercharged J2.
Bob

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000