Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Triple-M Register on Facebook
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2016 :  18:41:30  Show Profile
My considered opinion is that we get both on the facebook sites, with so many more owners replying to posts.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  14:18:16  Show Profile
At last..... my appeal for help understanding Farcebook has resulted in my mailbox .... the nice wooden one outside the front door.... being inundated by a reply in a plane brown envelope.
Many thanks.......though I fail to understand where paper aeroplanes fit into my understanding.....though great fun flying them.....or was there a misunderstanding on the type of envelope I required?
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  16:48:00  Show Profile
I've hesitated to enter into this discussion, preferring it to bumble along quietly, however, I feel I must make one point. Whenever old car owners gather, one of the common points of discussion seems to be, what is going to happen to our cars when we're gone, where is the younger generation of potential owners? Well, it's quite simple, they are on Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram. The younger generation lives through the internet and expects to find everything they need to know there. If the old car movement as a whole doesn't embrace that, then the question of where are the younger owners will continue to be asked but never answered..

My two penne'th...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  19:12:26  Show Profile
Very good point Hugh. In fact the only good reason I have heard for being on Facebook.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  19:46:36  Show Profile
Hugh poses the question, what is going to happen to our cars after we are gone? At an Ulster Vintage Car Club rally last weekend, my daughter Emily (30 next birthday) was by no means the only 'young' competitor but what she had in common with all the others from the younger generation competing was that she was from a family that had had their 'vintage' car, or cars, for many, many years. They grew up with them and they are part of their life. Not all children, or grandchildren, necessarily take an interest in our cars (my older daughter doesn't really ) so if there's no one to leave them to, then they get sold. And what happens to them? Someone buys them; they don't disappear. And we can be pretty sure that the likelihood of them being bought by someone young who got the idea from social media is slim to nonexistent. Why? Because they cost far more to buy and maintain than the average young person could possibly afford, even if they were interested. So I think it's not so much trying to enthuse the next generation via social media - a wasted effort to my mind - but rather trying to make things interesting for the new owners, who probably won't have got the notion from browsing Facebook but who are interested in finding events to take part in, whether competitive or social, in their new cars. Whether these new owners, who are probably a bit older than the median Facebook user, can best be reached via Facebook to tell them about what opportunities there are for them to use their cars is another matter. Perhaps some of our new owners would care to comment?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/09/2016 20:29:36
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  21:01:10  Show Profile
Just my 10 pence worth, as a new person to the MMM world, and thinking of some of the owners in their 30's / 40's that I know of reasonably well; Mark Dolton, Guy (Luxembourg), Bob (Luxembourg), Onno (Netherlands), Cat (Netherlands), Duncan Potter (well Emma), all have one thing in common other than MMM Cars, we all actively use Facebook. (They were just the first names to spring to mind!)
I don't think we should discount Facebook, but should encourage it's use alongside this forum. The T Register also has both a forum and Facebook, but neither seems as active maybe as ours?? :)

I think those involved with getting the MMM Facebook page off the ground and maintained should be applauded and fully supported by us :)

Even the VSCC has an active Facebook page!

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 28/09/2016 21:05:25
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1026 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  21:15:09  Show Profile
Go Colin!

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  21:16:22  Show Profile

My last 2 friends who have purchased Triple-m s have no links through family so it's great the bug is spreading. Actually we met another one on Saturday too, another younger model, that will be racing his L next season! Doubt it had anything to do with social media but great that we seem to be reaching out beyond the core community.

I only use Facebook for MG related stuff, the results, a huge marketing opportunity, immediate global coverage, to promote what we do! I have had a number of contacts, not on the forum, who have now approached me about racing because we have been connected through FB. I will use every available opportunity to build positivity, enthusiasm and momentum.

But I totally agree, use this very public media wisely.....some of the content I see is just bonkers!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  21:51:32  Show Profile
Colin , maybe the T type owners spend more time driving their cars , than talking about it, why their pages /forums are quieter??

Edited by - O.Thomas on 28/09/2016 21:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  22:31:28  Show Profile
Just one more thing I'll add. Let's define young. Of the 32 million UK registered UK Facebook users, 15 million of them are over the age of 35* That's a very large audience to just ignore...

*source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271348/facebook-users-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-by-age/

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

tormead

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2016 :  23:21:06  Show Profile
....surely the more channels to spread the gospel, the better...?
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2016 :  13:03:31  Show Profile
I don't want to divert this away from the good moves to increase the visibility of the MMM scene, however the mention of 'next generation' (which I know has been discussed in previous threads) prompts a response from me.

I am 43. I would consider myself somewhere in the spectrum of the 'next generation', however having spent the last few years trying to get my P-type back from the brink, I have to say that these cars are only ever going to be accessible to a certain section of people simply due to costs - of parts, and the initial car cost.

I simply find the costs involved in this damn car eye watering.

And for that reason I see little way the younger next generation will afford these cars, and if they do have disposable income, it's going to be buying other things like houses etc..
I believe most of the 'next generation' will be family of the cars current owners, or people who have a good level of disposable income to put into these cars.

Will I do another MMM car after this one - no.
Too expensive.
Plus I've never actually driven one so I may well hate it!

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2016 :  15:49:08  Show Profile
There must be someone in the Colchester area to give Paul a drive to reignite his enthusiasm for our cars ?!

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 29/09/2016 15:50:03
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2016 :  16:33:20  Show Profile
Come down to the Goodwood Track day in February Paul and you can be my passenger.

Might be a marmite moment! Love it or hate it, I ll be sure to post a few photos of the outcome on Facebook!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  08:11:29  Show Profile

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page