Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sobering thoughts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  21:50:57  Show Profile
Seeing the rather expensive gearbox for sale currently in our 'parts for sale' section
put me in mind of the time back in 1963 when I bought my first MG, a 1934 NA for the princely sum of £26!!The car was complete but required extensive engine work ;never the less had brand new tyres,wow!!
Little did I know then that it was the beginning of a lifetime of a wonderful fascination for the overhead cam MG which if anything is more intense now than ever.
Anyone else with similar stories?

C.J. Edwards Harrill

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  14:32:05  Show Profile
I was once in Appleyard's of Leeds [probably late seventies] buying a top for my M-type carb. dashpot, when I was offered s brand new J2 engine that they had found lying around during a workshop clearout.
Cost £200.
Turned it down, of course, as no use to an M-type owner !
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  08:42:08  Show Profile
Allowing for inflation, that would be around £4000 now. Still a good buy, but hardly pocket money. I wonder what we would pay now for a brand new four cylinder Triple-M engine.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  16:02:54  Show Profile
Having subsequently to buy a new block and crank the £200 would have been money well spent !!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000