Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P type engine parts on eBay
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  13:22:42  Show Profile
I'm having a clear-out of my garage to pay for new main bearings for my PA. Over the next few days I'll be posting various parts, mostly related to PB engine, on eBay, under my eBay name "acmeproperties".

These items have been lying around for years, and never used by me - indeed, I've no idea of when they were last used. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

The first items, a cylinder head, front housing, oil pump, distributor, and flywheel, will appear between 8pm and 9pm this evening, and will last ten days.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  10:39:50  Show Profile
Refreshing to see some realistic prices for a change,well done-Rich
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
839 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:47:03  Show Profile
I am not seeing them... Can anyone provide a link please???
thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:54:21  Show Profile
Just type in MG p type in search box . Scroll s down you'll see the items
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  12:55:56  Show Profile
If you're asking me, here are the links:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993016848?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993058323?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993085043?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993117777?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993127779?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
I'm not sure what the message above yours, from davies, refers to.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Edit: PS Thanks Oliver!

Edited by - Colin McLachlan on 08/10/2016 12:57:31
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3221 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  14:19:45  Show Profile
Fine, but why do people insist on listing items which "May not post to the United States"? This prevents US members from even bidding on them.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  14:34:24  Show Profile
Sorry Lew, the problem is that I have to research carriers for each item, and then check insurance. From experience it can be difficult to get a reasonable price, and then eventually the item is sold to the UK anyway. There is no facility to say on eBay something like "May send to US, price on application" or "will send anywhere if you arrange the carriage". If you are after a specific part I'll be happy to do the research and add that to the listing. Perhaps for someone from this forum, trustworthy like yourself , I could offer to send it to a US top bidder, with the proviso that you settle the extra carriage direct with me afterwards. What do you think?

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3221 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  16:30:13  Show Profile
Thanks, Colin. But there cannot be such a thing as a "top US bidder" as ebay refuses to accept bids from anywhere where shipment is not allowed. The solution is simply to allow shipment to any destination worldwide. Then work out with the bidder the method and cost of transport. I buy quite a number of parts from the UK ebay and as long as the allowable destination is not restricted, there is no problem. I am not interested in your flywheel or head, so I'm not in the game on these specific parts, but the distributor could have been worthwhile.
Sorry for my rants, but the people who restrict delivery are not doing themselves a favor. With the Pound against the Dollar as it is, you could command significantly better bids from the US.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  17:03:11  Show Profile
quote:
The solution is simply to allow shipment to any destination worldwide. Then work out with the bidder the method and cost of transport.

Lew, as an example, I tried just now to edit my listing of the Lucas distributor to include worldwide postage, with the postage amount listed as "TBA", but the system would not accept that, insisting that I enter an amount. As carriage charges vary from country to country, I can't see an easy way to include a worldwide carriage charge. I tried to find a Parcelforce price for USA, and it came in at just under £30, which is too much for such a low-value item.

Perhaps I'm missing something. How do I allow shipment to anywhere, without having to quote a price? When I complete the form about postage, I can either click on "No international postage", or "Create your own international postage option". If I click the latter, I then have to indicate the carrier, and the amount, and these fields are compulsory.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Update:
I've found a system within eBay, of which I was unaware, called Global Shipping Programme. I'm now trying to enrol on it, and update my listings. It seems to be working!

Edited by - Colin McLachlan on 08/10/2016 17:18:12
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3221 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  19:12:40  Show Profile
There does seem to be some differences between the UK ebay and the US ebay. It seems as if the UK version forces a postage option, whereas the US did not the last time I listed something.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  22:42:35  Show Profile
Recently I was successful in a ebay uk auction.
Small parts that were listed to ship to many locations but not the US. I contacted the seller before the auction ended to discuss and placed a bid. Ebay let me bid on the items though said I needed to contact the owner to complete and arrange the details of shipping. I also bid on some wonderful Trafficator's and would have won but ebay uk rejected my winning bid? It is all quite confusing.
They did say however that those listing can add the US to an auction in their settings prior to listing. Cannot be done after listing with out ending the auction and relisting.
Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
839 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  22:44:51  Show Profile
Colin:
Thanks ! I do understand your dilemma ...I've had trouble with ebay in the past including international shipping especially after not including it !!
Good Luck and thanks,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  02:57:37  Show Profile
I agree with Lew & Brian that there can be problems in the way eBay UK listings are made.
I live in New Zealand & my feedback score (847) results solely from eBay UK Purchases, but can have problems on bidding on some items.

Even if the Seller makes the item available World Wide, I often find that New Zealand isn't even included on the List of World Wide Countries.
A lot of the items listed (that I look at), have under Postage, seam to be labelled as 'May not send to NZ'
On winning such items. where the seller can not,or has not specified postage to NZ, the Pay Now screen has the facility to request the Seller to send an updated invoice to enable the payment to be made.

It would seam that there is a big problem for US and NZ persons to easily access eBay UK, which also restricts their Sellers from selling on a bigger market place.
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  02:59:24  Show Profile
signed

Colin Smithson (whirlwind)
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  08:49:43  Show Profile
Perhaps what we need is a "Buddy" system. Many of us know at least one person from a distant land who owns a Triple-M car. If we could Buddy-up, then someone in the US, for example, could get their buddy in UK to bid on and accept delivery of the part, check it, and then get a carrier to forward it to their US buddy, who then settles up. This would involve quite a lot of trust, of course. There are one or two people I've met from the colonies that I'd be happy to work with on such a system.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3060 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  09:00:49  Show Profile
Can you imagine the frustration experienced a mere eleven miles off the coast of mainland Britain when eBay sellers state in red "Doesn't post to Northern Ireland" although Royal Mail charges a flat rate for parcel deliveries within the UK? If you phone and ask why they tell you with astonishing ignorance they "only post within the UK".

When some UK sellers cannot even post within the UK what hope has the rest of the planet?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 09/10/2016 10:17:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000