Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1930's letter & number font style
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2017 :  18:24:28  Show Profile
Our cars, engines, gearboxes, chassis plates are all stamped in a similar type font of lettering & numbering, which isn't Times New Roman! Purely out of interest does anyone know what this particular font style is called & whether there's any likelihood of being able to find a sample anywhere?

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  05:06:47  Show Profile
Hi Derek,
My suggestion is check out eBay tools to see if you may find a vintage set of type set stamps. They come in sets in a block of wood as you may well know. These may have been used in foundry work and to stamp parts. The old info tag on the block may provide that information.
We use them to this day in our restoration shop to mark parts.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  09:46:36  Show Profile
Hi Derek

Suggest that you take for example the Guarantee Plate to your local Sports Trophy engraver and get him to check out the templates that he would use on his Pantograph style engraving machine, or try Letterpress Transfer catalogues, check through the typefaces available on your computer this may help you decipher the myriad of Type Faces that are available.

Its obviously a going to be a simple san serif face like "Gill" as casting and stamping in those days would need to be simple.

Regards

Russ
Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  09:49:01  Show Profile
Brian:Thanks for this, it's what I intend to do.
However I still need to identify the font which, at the moment the nearest seems to be "Ovo Serif".
As ever Google came to the rescue with a search for "1930's fonts"! However it's proving difficult as I've only the letters A & J, plus numbers 0,1,2,3,7,8,9 to go on.
Meanwhile the search for font and stamps continues.
Derek
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  11:23:17  Show Profile
VSCC cars have all manner of fonts on hand painted number plates, some quite beautifully executed...
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  15:50:44  Show Profile
Ahem! Why would anyone need authentic-font stamps?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  16:02:27  Show Profile
Why not?? I need to mark up a repro (new) chassis plate & sure as guns someone is going to point out that the stamping "looks wrong" should I use today's normal stamps!
Anyway the number style on the gearbox is rather nice!
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  19:09:14  Show Profile
Derek,
I note that the font on my engine and gear case are indeed a serif face, and not a san serif font.

Regards,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  19:35:03  Show Profile
On the Minor - and I think its the same on MG's, the car type and chassis number were engraved and the engine number was stamped. Pre-engaraved plates came in a neat pile in chassis number order and when a chassis was laid down, the next plate was taken from the box and loosely attached with a piece of twisty wire - because the firewall hadn't been fitted yet. Neither had the engine, so this allowed the plate to be removed and stamped with the number of the next engine to hand. The chassis number on the plate was also hand-stamped on the dumbiron. So to be perfectly correct, you'll need two fonts for the chassis plate - one for engraving and the other for the engine number!
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  21:10:02  Show Profile
Following on,
The proper font and stamps are part of the authentication procedure of cars & original parts.
Producing new stamp and putting into use on new or old parts creates the possibility of fraud.
This could be a concern to all.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2017 :  21:38:02  Show Profile
Yeah, but the repro plates are easy to distinguish from the originals - at least for a few decades!

So you are in Monroe? Jeez! I live about 10 miles from you - in Startup!!!
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  02:41:16  Show Profile
Here you go
a book on various fonts may help

https://d20eq91zdmkqd.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/lrg/9781/5811/9781581158922.jpg

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000