Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mystery Pre-War MG Car Club Badge
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  07:34:12  Show Profile
I've just purchased this rather unusual late pre war MG car club badge for my collection. The enamel work suggests an associate members badge. These were issued to members of the club who did not own an MG car. However unlike all other badges I've ever seen this badge is painted black and it appears it has always been that way. It is numbered 3116 on the rear and is stamped with the makers name of H. A. Shelley & Co of London. I'm hoping that one of our more knowledgeable members may be able to shed some light on the origin of this badge and possibly be able to accurately date it from the membership number? Here's hoping. Many thanks, Ian.

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  07:36:17  Show Profile
A photo of the rear of the badge also, Ian.

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
959 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  18:59:35  Show Profile
Ian,

I am not a member, nor am I particularly knowledgeable.

I have a member's badge made by the same manufacturer and you can see that that the font (your number 3116, my number 3300) is the same.

A knowledgeable Club member thought that my badge was of 1936 or 1937 vintage.

It is for sale for £50 should anybody want to buy it.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  19:58:47  Show Profile
At our Register committee meeting this weekend Jeremy Hawke mentioned that in the 'old days'if you were an MGCC member who owned an MG you were entitled to display the customary membership badge, but if you ceased to own an MG whilst remaining a member the Club, the colour of your badge was changed. I don't know when this would have been or indeed how the club managed to administer it! Perhaps this is an example of it?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 07/03/2017 19:59:16
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  08:44:43  Show Profile
John and Dick,

Thank you both for your replies. Very interesting and what Dick says could well make sense.

John,

I'd be interested in your badge for my collection. I've sent you an email off forum. Hopefully you've received it.

All the best,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  17:25:10  Show Profile
From "the MGCC Book "The First 70 Years":

One of the more curious episodes of club life is that of associate membership. At a lower subscription, it was introduced in Feb 1936 and intended for people who did not have an MG. Probably, it was aimed at those sporting motorists who wanted to join us to take part in our attractive competitions programme. However, this resulted in the MG Car Club badge being seen on cars other than MGs and someone took exception. An associate members badge was introduced just like the real thing, but in green, leading to the use of the term "a green badge man".

But people change their cars, swapped from MG to something else and back again, or owned more than one car. A series of announcements in "The Sports Car" tried to outline the rules for "proper" and "green" badges, swapping one for the other etc. Clearly there was much confusion. From this distant point of view it seems as if this was one of the many unnecessary complications which have ruffled the surface of the club from time to time."

There used to be a garage on the Fosse Way, just south of Burton on the Water whose owner had a green badge (we're talking early 60s here). Whenever Dad stopped by in the J2 he would produce it (it was No 12), claiming that it must have belonged to someone famous - so must be worth something. He resisted the temptation to buy it to stick on the front of the family mini-van.....

JH

Edited by - JMH on 08/03/2017 17:34:26
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
959 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  09:08:37  Show Profile
I have sold my 1930s member's badge to Peter Croft in New Zealand.

To those who enquired, thank you for your interest.

JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000