Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type for sale at Terry Bone
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  13:34:35  Show Profile
Hello all.

Firstly I need to introduce myself. I am Arthur Rayner, a WW2 aviation enthusiast and historian, and I also make my own 3 wheeled cars at www.aerocyclecars.com (I may be so bold as to say so!)

My main reason for this post, is that I am interested in acquiring an old MG of sorts, either a T-Type or perhaps even an M or J-Type. I know of Terry Bone of old here in the UK and have always looked in on his site from time to time. I notice that that the new owner has a rebodied M Type MG but with a non MG seized engine. I noticed from a post that I saw on the Pre-War Minor forum that someone had suggested that the body might be incorrect in some way? At this stage my interest is somewhat tentative, but I do want to hear views on it if anyone would like to enthuse, before I actually talk to the vendor, assuming that it is still around. Does the price reflect the new bodywork/wing/valances etc, coupled with what appears a seized engine and one that might also consume a fair bit of money? A comment also existed about the possibility of the chassis being incorrect? Views all round and general advice will be much appreciated.

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  13:57:22  Show Profile
Arthur, try clicking 'Home' at the top of this page and then click on 'Cars for Sale' near the bottom of the left hand column. You might find something you like.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  14:27:35  Show Profile
Hi Sam

Many thanks for that. I did actually look at them earlier today. A nice pair of M Types, and a rather nice D too. The one at Terry Bone's intrigues me though, so I'd appreciate some ideas on it if it is worthwhile? I don't wish to sound too "green", but I don't mind a challenge either, also I rather like research on subjects. Early days, but expect to be in a position to buy something very soon.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  14:32:48  Show Profile
Arthur,

It is difficult to comment on a car without seeing it up close, but from the photos on the website this one seems to be an honest attempt at a restoration, though with some lapses in the detail. There are many M Type copies out there based on Morris Minor chassis, so, in terms of establishing value and price, question No. 1 is what number lurks on the front dumb-iron. Only a genuine MG chassis will attrract anything like the asking price.

The engine is less of an issue if it is built on a Morris block because this is common enough among genuine M Types and the engines are identical apart from the numbers stamped on them. Cars with their original engine are rare and Morris blocks were cheap and plentiful when replacements were needed. However, if the engine is seized that raises many questions about what has happened to it and what will be the resulting cost of repair. It would be unwise to agree a purchase price without knowing what needs doing.

From the photos it does look as though the body rear is a tad too long and too flat. There should be a gentle downward slope on the rear deck. The dash panel is not original and the seat base should be a single bench cushion. A thorough crawl over the car would probably reveal more issues like that.

As Sam suggests, there are probably more deserving ways to spend your hard-earned.

Malcolm
M Type

Edited by - Malcolm Eades on 07/03/2017 14:37:14
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  15:40:23  Show Profile
Many thanks for your reply. Yes I had heard about checks to chassis number. It does seem that someone has spent some fair money on a new body with new wings and valances, and I am rather gathering therefore that this might not be on a genuine chassis, and therefore this reflects value. I have a number of potential questions to ask, should I take a look. Your comment on the body is similar to the other body comment, so I value corroboration that's for sure. I'm in no hurry, but want to take a good look at what is about. I'm tending to think more along the TC TD route for a little more modernity...my 3 wheelers are on TA wheels (!), but I'd like an MG. I remember going to Bone's in Steyning in the 70s, I think they had a TA for £850, being just 21, I couldn't afford it, and got a TR3A for £285!

Of course, further pitfalls await the seized engine problem, if it can't be driven, the gearbox and driveline in general can't be assessed. Intrigued though, I wonder who made the body...I saw on this forum that a body business has just been purchased from a chap who seems well known here. I also want to build an A7 Ulster, and I know Rod Yates. The MG must come first though.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  17:40:43  Show Profile
Arthur, is the car you are considering this one: http://terrybone.co.uk/1930-mg-m-type-ref-418/

If so, reg BF 7912 is not known to the Register, so from that perspective it's difficult to add an opinion about the car, especially as all we have to go on is a rather limited narrative and no identity or other information. I can see that the car has been on offer for 6 months....

PS

According to the DVLA at https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ the car (BF 7912) was first registered in July 2016 - albeit built in 1930 so I'd guess it has been dormant, SORN'd or undiscovered for some time before being registered last year.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 07/03/2017 17:45:02
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
649 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  15:05:35  Show Profile
Arthur
Nice looking 3 wheelers.
However, not wishing to be a spoilsport, your cars, shown on your site are not on TA wheels.
Also note that the spare on the Bone car is from a mid 30's Morris.
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  16:01:26  Show Profile
Hi Tony

The 19 inch wheels that I now use are certainly TA, those shown on the site clearly aren't of course, those are Akront rims from Spain, but I've now gone over to TA wheels entirely on specially made (to my spec) splined hubs. The wheels are shown on my blog at www.aerocyclecars.blogspot.com

You had me worried for a second! In due course, when I've built another demonstrator, the website will show a TA wheel shod vehicle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000