Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bakelite Repair
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2017 :  15:18:34  Show Profile
Gents,
I know this subject has been covered but here is a new twist on a simple repair technique we use.
   When we do repairs in my shop of tile chips, stone, porcelain, Formica, and plastics. I have developed a method to repair.
This will work for Bakelite as well. I use two part  epoxy which I mix a small amount of oil based artist paint into. It is amazing to watch as you touch the resin with a small amount of mixed to color oil base paint. Almost instantly the resin turns completely to that color. after this you can add hardener to the resin and within a few minutes or depending on the epoxy longer you have a matching color repair. The super hard 3-M two part epoxies will probably be best.
Step one mix Artist oil paint to color
Step two mix into resin
Step three mix in hardener
Step four apply to chip, crack and form with waxed paper, or carve after setting.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2017 :  19:20:41  Show Profile
Pictures of described epoxy repair in process.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
464 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2017 :  20:07:24  Show Profile
Brian,
is it also usable for the old Steering Wheels ?

Horst
PA492
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2017 :  20:15:08  Show Profile
Yes Horst,
Here I have given you trade secrets.
You can indeed do steering wheels in this manor and I have done just that.
The 1956 chriscraft steering wheel I own was repaired in this manor. You may find you will benefit from automotive spot putty and wet sanding of the area. When we do this I use two pack paint matched to original color and can generate a perfect finish that is epoxy paint acrylic. Wear needed protection. This paint becomes hydrochloric acid if breathed in!

Best.

Brian W Sullivan

Edited by - sullivan on 13/03/2017 20:19:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000