Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rhombic Restoration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  00:03:34  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of PA 1024's Rhombic during restoration showing the steps.
pre-restore, (used Covered Mile -O-Meter for Color Match), strip and paint to match after a trip to my local auto paint vendor, clear coat to keep the white letters only white, paint in with sign paint and wipe off, Done

Best,

Brian W Sullivan

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  02:47:06  Show Profile
Well done, Brian! Would you like to (re)do mine? <grin>

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  03:03:53  Show Profile
Wow, really nice work Brian, well done!
Donald McLeod
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  09:03:56  Show Profile
Brian
Would it be possible for you to take some dimensions from the clamping plate, nut & bolt for the mileometer fixing, mine are missing? I need to remake.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  17:36:12  Show Profile
Lew,
Send me your Rhombic Panel and I will do it just as mine. The chrome needs to be good though.

Richard,
Here I have taken pictures of the retaining plate for your reference.
With these you should be able to reproduce the part exactly.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  19:48:07  Show Profile
Really just kidding, Brian. The engraved lettering on mine was quite shallow in places (probably from over-polishing) so it was hard to get nice crisp paint fill.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  20:32:06  Show Profile
Looks great Brian,

How did you do the white lettering, and what did you primer the chrome with?

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  22:06:38  Show Profile
Many thanks Brian, all best.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  22:41:52  Show Profile
Lew, I thought you were having fun.

Paul,
When doing this type work you want to keep the finish as thin and yet covering the area as possible. This because I don't want to fill in the lettering. Because of this I chemically stripped the panel then using very light touch with finest wire wool remove any oxidation bumps. follow with very light 2000 grit wet sand. The panel is in fact brass with a chrome plate. Once clean and ready for finish we masked out the edges and mile-o-meter face trim. (Very Delicate masking). Next I applied the color coat direct to the metal with no primer, Just as original. After this remove the masking and use a dagger brush to touch up the edge surrounding the rhombic. Follow this with a gloss clear coat over chrome and all. Now you can use the sign painters paint again with the dagger brush into the lettering. You need not be carful as you will use mineral spirits on a thin paper cloth to wipe over the area in one motion. Once in one direction and once in the other. With the white paint in place you need not clear coat over. You can brush on more white and make your letters darker if need be after the panel has plenty of time to dry. Note; This process is a spray on application.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000