Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Watches
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  09:50:24  Show Profile
Recently on FB pics were shown of a watch presented by the MG Car Co to G Phillips on the occasion of the Magic Midget covering 100mph in 1931. Separately I recently purchased another watch presented by Wakefield Castrol on the same occasion. Pics are attached.

Does anyone know more about these watches?

Thanks, Bob

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  10:07:47  Show Profile
Hello Bob

Welcome to the Forum with your first posting.

I am afraid I do not know anything about the watches but I am sure someone will be able to supply some information. They are certainly desirable and historic pieces.

George
Hon Sec
L2023
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  18:35:39  Show Profile
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. The first watch looks to be very nice and original, any more than that I can't really say.

I saw the second on eBay last week and was thinking of bidding on it as I've collected pre war MG memorabilia for many years and never seen another. The reason I didn't is that the watch itself dates from the 1950's but the engraving purports to be earlier. Maybe this was a promotional piece produced in the 50's by Castrol or maybe it's something that has been engraved much more recently. I'm really not sure. An intriguing item nonetheless. Hopefully another forum member can shed some light on it.

All the best,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  18:39:21  Show Profile
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. The first watch looks to be very nice and original, any more than that I can't really say.

I saw the second on eBay last week and was thinking of bidding on it as I've collected pre war MG memorabilia for many years and never seen another. The reason I didn't is that the watch itself dates from the 1950's but the engraving purports to be earlier. Maybe this was a promotional piece produced in the 50's by Castrol or maybe it's something that has been engraved much more recently. I'm really not sure. An intriguing item nonetheless. Hopefully another forum member can shed some light on it.

All the best,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3060 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  20:01:50  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  23:55:18  Show Profile
Thanks Ian,

I'll make some enquiries from 'Smiths' experts & report my findings here.

Regards

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by KJ1592

Hi Bob,

All the best,
Ian.

Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2017 :  23:55:59  Show Profile
And your point is caller....??

quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

Sam

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3060 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2017 :  10:32:49  Show Profile
My point is contained in the proverbs that provenance is everything and If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The stop watch looks plausible but cries out for corroboration. Who was G. Phillips and why did he need a stop watch?

The 'MG' on the cheap Smiths pocket watch would have surely read 'M.G.' if it had been genuine. Sadly it looks as though it has been enhanced by someone who has been impressed by the stop watch.

The Bart Simpson watch is completely genuine but I am a little uneasy about 'MG' having no full stops. It is of course is fabulously valuable .

Sam
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2017 :  10:40:06  Show Profile
Thanks,

I've emailed the archivist at Kimber House to ask if he has any info on both & if I get anything from him or other sources I'll post on here.

I agree that the first looks authentic, it came in its original box as well with the makers name clearly shown.

The second one? Well I'll find out what I can!

Thanks,

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

My point is contained in the proverbs that provenance is everything and If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The stop watch looks plausible but cries out for corroboration. Who was G. Phillips and why did he need a stop watch?

The 'MG' on the cheap Smiths pocket watch would have surely read 'M.G.' if it had been genuine. Sadly it looks as though it has been enhanced by someone who has been impressed by the stop watch.

The Bart Simpson watch is completely genuine but I am a little uneasy about 'MG' having no full stops. It is of course is fabulously valuable .

Sam

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2017 :  16:13:24  Show Profile
Autosport's 'chief snapper' of the 1950s was George Phillips of TC fame.

Here's some of his work: https://revslib.stanford.edu/?f%5Bmarque_ssim%5D%5B%5D=MG&f%5Bphotographer_ssi%5D%5B%5D=George+Phillips&per_page=100).

And here a bit on his car, or on the recreation of it anyway: https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2015/9/spirit-of-long-lost-mg-special-lives-on-and-youll-see-it-coming/

Could he have been present at Montlhéry for the occasion some 20 years earlier?

Having seen ash trays, cigarette boxes and watches alike being presented to Works mechanics and the like, I don't think there'd have to have been a neccesity for this George Phillips to have had 'need' for a stop watch as it will merely have been to commemorate the occasion. And for record breaking a stop watch seems quite appropriate, doesn't it?

He could of course also have been a Works mechanic. Perhaps Mike Allison could shed a light?

Regards
Cat

Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2017 :  21:16:37  Show Profile
Bob

Can you advise who the seller was please? or his sale name?

In know of an individual who sells items that are recently engraved with MG, Rolls Royce and Bentley inscriptions.

He also has genuine items from time to time

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  05:02:20  Show Profile
Maybe that's George on the right?

Page 86 of Combat by Barre Lyndon.
I perused the chapter but did not spot Phillips mentioned.

The chisel type engraving on the first watch is almost a lost art these days.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  11:12:39  Show Profile
My local branch of Peacocks do a nice line in "original 1931 M.G. Works Mechanics" Black Berets. Just £400 each.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  20:45:36  Show Profile
Thanks Rob,

It was bought in the UK so I assume is unlikely to have a NZ connection.

The sellers name is 'madeinsheffield' & allegedly the watch with other motoring items had belonged to her late father.

Regards,

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by rodb

Bob

Can you advise who the seller was please? or his sale name?

In know of an individual who sells items that are recently engraved with MG, Rolls Royce and Bentley inscriptions.

He also has genuine items from time to time

RodB NZ

Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  21:25:45  Show Profile
RodB,

I know the 'gentleman' you are referring to as do most automobilia collectors in the UK and can assure you that he was not the seller.

The person selling the watch had quite a few nice original items of automobilia for sale on eBay (not MG related) and I bought a couple of things for my collection.

All the best,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000