Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG557
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2017 :  21:54:57  Show Profile
Dear All

A sniff of another MMM.

Met someone today whose father owned MG reg MG557 Do we know if it is still around? I said I would ask. My copy of the register is buried at the mo...

He thinks the car was 1929 or thereabouts so probably M Type but mentioned a dicky seat, the missing Stiles D Type possibly? And I gather it was sold and went to Rhodesia.

Any info gratefully received, I shall pass it on and photos might surface.

Cheers

P

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2017 :  23:02:12  Show Profile
Peter,

The car is not known to the Register,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2017 :  23:10:49  Show Profile

Could the image be from the Austin Harris collection?

Is that a supercharger under the front apron?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2017 :  08:56:03  Show Profile
Thank you both, I knew I could rely on you!

M Type then...

I shall report back...

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 16/06/2017 09:14:57
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2017 :  11:06:20  Show Profile
Chris has come up with two photos of the car. I note there are now cutaway doors and possibly a restyled boot. Chris recalls a dickey seat!

He writes:

Hi Peter,

These are the photos. The only difference I can see is that your photo shows that the front mudguards are abbreviated, for trials work perhaps.

In the Workshop Manual Dad had pages from "The Motor" of October 10th 1945 which was a four-page article headlined, "A New MG. Introducing the TC Midget" which gives all the technical data with illustrations and cut-aways. There is also a copy of a blueprint for "Wiring Diagram - Midget. 1930/31 (2 Str.)" Part No. GA 105". As far as I can define, the notations at the bottom include it having been traced by H. (or W) G. Flatt 12/9/36. Pretty basic - If it could be of interest, I can get a copy done.

My father, Edward Ernest Turner, and his brother, Leonard, born and brought up in Birkenhead, were both interested in motorbikes. They were associated with, I think, the Wirral Vintage Motorcycle Club, Len was club photographer. Dad moved to Dorset after the war, partly because my grandmother and great-aunt were there. He spent his war years working for Prices (of candle fame), Birkenhead or Bebington area - I'm not sure, as a wages clerk and was also a member of the Home Guard training recruits in light arms and grenades.

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2017 :  16:33:43  Show Profile
Peter,
It seems to me that the car is much changed in the later photos. The supercharger has gone, the doors and rear section have been changed (note the body line at the rear is below the height of the rear wing) and the side louvre panels have gone. Despite this the car looks cared for and in good order. I would guess that it had reached that age when M type bodywork started to fall apart, especially the vulnerable boat tail which when replaced on this car might have contained some sort of dickey seat as your friend remembers.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2017 :  22:18:57  Show Profile
Very much my thoughts, Keith.

Chris has come up with the name of the purchaser, a Mr Mathews who shipped it out in 1961.

I have friends recently back from Zimbabwe so have a small hope that they may be able to take the search a little bit further.

Do we know of a vintage car club there?

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 18/06/2017 22:34:57
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2017 :  21:49:16  Show Profile
Here is a website listing MGs in Rhodesia.

https://www.classiccarsinrhodesia.co.za/Makes/MG.html

The site also mentions another M, a J2 and a K3 (now in Australia)

MG557 is there, still going strong, or otherwise, in 1979. The writeup is not correct, I think. Mr Turner mentioned as first owner is probably the father of Chris who I met the other day and who owned it after the war. A shufty in the chassis file would sort out who was the first owner.

MG557 is apparently chassis number 2/M1589 with engine no 1367A (though she went out with a spare engine...) and would appear to have been around out there as late as 1979.

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

Warrior80

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2017 :  16:57:19  Show Profile
Nothing beats the classic.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2017 :  20:13:14  Show Profile
2M 1589 is known to the register with number 3258 and is in the Toyota Motor Museum in Japan!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000