Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Engine paint colour
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  12:51:11  Show Profile
A detail point: with the J2 engines (mine is red), was the dynamo matched to the block colour, or always black?

Thanks.

MSH
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  13:11:37  Show Profile
Hi Mike
Good to see you at Brands. Just a couple of points. Yes the majority of original J engines and castings I have ever seen have been red - I think Post Office red is the best description - not really a dark red though.
I have also seen J engines with original green paint. I do not know why or how many were so painted. Here are pics of two old J cylinder heads both showing what is undoubtably their original paint. One is more the lime green you mention and the other the more common mid green same as the third picture down in this thread.
Is it possible that J1 engines were perhaps painted green ?

TH
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  13:34:26  Show Profile
The lighter green is the same shade as my car's engine had when purchased in 1968, albeit the block had been changed in 1945. I went along with majority opinion and repainted red, but when I rebuild it next time....

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  20:41:00  Show Profile
OK by me!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  00:31:40  Show Profile
That's a definite maybe then! I was planning to update the colour chart in "Document Downloads" but now I need some guidance please. Would "Red or Green" be of any help or cause more confusion?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  11:47:28  Show Profile
Red engines are more powerful.
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
425 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  14:44:20  Show Profile
Nick
I think it would be helpful. I my world it is better to have diffuse but certain facts than specific untrue facts (but then I am not a president).

Regards

Sven
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  15:13:01  Show Profile
One of the great problems we have now is that the cars, ad their components are very old. What passes as a "base colour" can just be an old painting over the original... perhaps done in say 1938.
Another is that the art/science of paint colour matching was not all that good until my time in the motor industry in the 1960's, when we used to look at paint finishes in different lamps, and in various directions. There is a possibly apocryphal story of Bugatti paint finish, told to be by David Sewell of the BOC. It seems that every car had to be approved in person by Mdme Bugatti. Her method was to check the colour against that of the packet of "Gauloise Bleu" cigarettes which she invariably had in her pocket!

So "red or green" is probably about as close as we can get to "original". The rather pale shade in one of Terry's pictures is certainly close to Lime Green, as I was told by one of the people at Wolseley Motors. Cardinal red is certainly the colour I was told from the paint records extant at Abingdon in 1964 or thereabouts.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  11:52:10  Show Profile
Thank you Mike
Is it correct that from the F-type onwards, the engines from Wolseley Motors arrived painted green and were painted red by the factory at Abingdon? If so, that might explain why some engines show a green paint colour if the paint removal process has never been done with great thoroughness.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  12:15:02  Show Profile
Well, I believe that is so, but am not old enough[:) to remember!
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  21:39:09  Show Profile
Thank you again Mike, I always thought you didn't look old enough to have actually worked at Abingdon
Of course it may be down to red/green colour blindness (very common in men)?
So for now "red or green" it is.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000