Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Is there an Elephant in the room?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  09:48:21  Show Profile
Good morning Ian,

Like Mark Dolton, I am just heading off to Cadwell to support the team this weekend, but before I go let me suggest .....

I invite you, as a long-standing MGCC member, to sit in on one of our quarterly committee meetings to see at first hand how we handle the Register's activities on very many fronts, including those relating to information supplied by owners about their cars, questions of identity and the basis of their inclusion in our listing of cars.

All meeting agendas include the following statement:
Note:- Should any member have a vested interest in any matter under discussion they should declare their interest and abstain from discussion/voting on that matter.

For those who do not already know about your chairman (since 2012), my professional background included over 20 years until my retirement in 2007 as the group company secretary of a listed UK plc with worldwide operations where good governance and probity of dealings were a paramount consideration - principles which apply to our committee.

The fact that committee members know each other does not, repeat not, connote insider dealing or the dishing out of favours for chums. Anyone, yourself included, who suggests otherwise is gravely mistaken.

The Register's past may be a foreign country, but we need to live in the here and now and that is why we depend on owners providing us with honest declarations concerning their cars, otherwise 'Maintaining the Breed' may become a tarnished principle.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  11:10:24  Show Profile
In my previous posting I mentioned the AGM and the non attendance/response from members; the only non Committee attendee was Mike Allison.

The 2017 AGM was held on 25th June. Ian, you must have held the views now expressed at the time the AGM notice was printed in Safety Fast - why did you not raise your concerns then and better still why did you not attend the AGM in person to both raise your concerns and see first hand how the meetings are conducted? Also you appear to me to have become the self appointed spokesman of a group who correspond with you but do not make their comments public.

The Register has been extremely well served/governed by the last three highly respected and knowledgeable Chairmen. During my 17 year tenure as Secretary the Chairmen have been Mike Allison (now President), Peter Green and currently Dick Morbey whose posting today I fully endorse.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/07/2017 11:29:43
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  14:48:22  Show Profile
George; not the kindest welcome I have ever received.

The answers are simple, the issue has only developed in my mind over the past weeks by noting the comments and concerns raised by others, to which I referred earlier. My mind is plastic, thinks through and develops solutions to issues, not made up once and held unchanged.

I was not at the AGM since I was in the Lake District with my family, apologies for not giving it primacy. As a simple member of MGCC, the journey and time required was as attractive to me as to all the others in a similar position.

Right now I am on the Scilly islands, but giving this more attention than exploring.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  17:37:39  Show Profile
Ian - in your previous message you stated:-

"With a relatively small group of members, many well known to each other and much trading between members, this aspect, I believe, must be addressed."

Not the kindest comment to direct at Committee members who are all volunteers who give many hours of their time to Register matters. To my way of thinking you appear to imply that some Committee members might be benefitting financially from some decisions they reach.

Totally wrong and totally disrespectful, and in my opinion either withdrawal of the paragraph or an apology is warranted.

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  18:05:47  Show Profile
I will simply make a point of clarification that there should be no misunderstanding, the word used, members, refers to the total membership of the Register, not the Committee.

If you read it any other way, my apology for the confusion.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2017 :  19:11:05  Show Profile
Apologies for the delay in responding to the Chairman’s offer and the Secretary’s comments. I have been away from a reliable internet connection for some days.

First may I accept the Chairman’s offer and suggest that I attend the next Committee meeting as a guest, and we can discuss the future position after that.

For the Secretary I must insist that there is no cabal muttering in the shadows under my leadership. My original curiosity over the attribution of MMM models was raised by a number of comments in the Forum. Looking into this I then read through the Guidelines and was perplexed by the statement ‘inclusion or exclusion of any particular car or specification is at the sole discretion of The Register Committee’ and ‘If the car qualifies under section 3.2 it will be allocated a formal Triple-M Register number’. Recognising that the attribution of a Register number, or perhaps and more importantly, the failure to provide a number can affect the valuation, raised concern at the comment ‘at the sole discretion of the Register Committee’.

Having expressed my perplexity at this situation, I was approached directly by number of Forum members to echo their, similar, concerns. Hence the discussion which developed.

At this point my comments on Governance relates simply to the Committee reserving the decision to allocate a register number to itself, without making the reason for the discussion or their decision making process in reaching the decision, public.

I therefore proposed that entry on the Register can only be as a record of cars whose type is as described and supported by documentation the owner supplies. The guidelines are there to underpin the description. The outcome of any discrepancies are not for the Register Committee to determine for the reasons above, but for owners to resolve themselves. There may be a better solution, or this may have missed the mark. I look forward to the Committee discussion.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000