Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L type front axle
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3217 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  19:58:40  Show Profile
I have not checked the archive to see if this has come up before.

I was wondering what the difference is between the front axle fitted to the J/P types and the ones fitted to the L types.The part numbers are different.

I spoke to Mike Allison earlier this week and he thought the L axle was the same as fitted to the J4. The difference is probably in the thickness of the "swan neck" part?

George
L2023

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  08:07:42  Show Profile
George

I have just fitted an L type front axle beam to my J4 rep. You are correct, the axle ends from the crank are noticeably thicker compared to the P type. Also, this one it has a greater axle camber

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 10/09/2017 08:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
660 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  09:44:22  Show Profile
Good Morning George,

J2 and L2 axels are the same, have physical the same demensions,
the "Swan Neck" demension up to a Millimeter the same,
Both axel beams have the same forging number.
The J2 axel is stamped 72, the L2 72

cheers

Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  23:18:32  Show Profile
I am intruded to know what I have just fired then. I was advised it was L type, stored 40 odd years and complete with its rack rods and complete brakes etc.

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2017 :  04:27:16  Show Profile
Comparing a J and L parked together I reached the same conclusion as Carl, no noticeable difference and measured dimensions were within a millimetre. The J-type axle is stamped “72” and I can’t see the stamping on the L-type (L1) axle. Cheers
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1623 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2017 :  10:49:16  Show Profile
I am sure that Carl is right and that J2 and L were fitted with the same axles - whichever ones were being made at the time.
However axle beams did vary from early J2 through to late P type and were progressively beefed up. I doubt if there is any record of when the changes occurred.
Some time ago when Colin Tieche was straightening axles for people he at one stage had quite a lot to do so one day we took dimensions from quite a few of them. We found three different types so if your axle has been changed in the last 80 years you could have any one of these fitted to your car.
From memory dimensions varied all over but the main difference was that some, which all happened to be from later cars, were definitely thicker in what George calls the swan neck section and around the king pin eye.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2017 :  12:02:02  Show Profile
On the basis that the item was hot forged, there will have been tool wear over time. It may simply be that this is the source of the thickening of the cross sections.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2017 :  12:54:19  Show Profile
Wonder whether all the axles came from the same Forge Shops?

Different suppliers could have resulted in differing measurements.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2137 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2017 :  18:30:49  Show Profile
Well I typed 'intrigued' in my post. No idea where 'intruded' came from!

I do know there is a noticeable difference in sizes of axles I have here from the J to the P and the P to the L. I am also aware that the C/D had an axle cross section which was less than the J onwards. To clarify, like George mentions, I am referring to the 'swan neck' cross section only.

On the issue of tool wear, I would have expected any wear to be relatively constant along the axle length although of the different sizes of axles I have, these all appear to retain the same cross section measurements to the beam section, so I don't think noticeable thickness differences in axles can be down to any tool wear as there are noticeable thickness differences.

Tooling would no doubt have been periodically replaced so potentially an early L axle may be different to a late production L. Who knows although the L axle I have here is certainly beefed up.

Richard

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 13/09/2017 18:34:49
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
368 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2017 :  09:55:08  Show Profile
Hi All,

When I bought a consignment of parts I was told that this was an L type front axel. Can anyone ID it for me?

The distance between the mounts is 540mm.

Regards,

Andrew

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000