Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 1930 M type brake pedal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2017 :  14:13:40  Show Profile
I have converted my 1929 rod braked car to 1930 cable brakes. What I would like is a suitable brake pedal. I have a pedal for the 1929 rod brakes if anyone would like to swap or buy.

John Cooper M 628

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  15:17:05  Show Profile
I'm still looking for the brake pedal would a Minor one be the same?
I also need the plate that holds the gear lever in place at the top of the gear box. Round and I assume domed with a large hole to take the gear lever and four small holes to take screw to the top of the gear box. I've hunted through all the bits and pieces I have and it is not there, so can anyone help me PLEASE.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 13/10/2017 15:18:25
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  22:04:44  Show Profile
John, I have one that I think is what you need. I will look in the garage tomorrow and send a picture

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  02:55:12  Show Profile
Hi John I think the pedal that you have is a Morris minor because the pedal end is oval M Type are rectangular. I don't think there is a difference between cable and Rod activation thru through pedal
Cheers pat

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  10:44:56  Show Profile
Thanks Tom

Pat - It could well be a Morris one. The difference is where the pedal pivot is, in the early cars it is on the end of the clutch activating rod and the pedal is to the right of the accelerator. like the one in picture, whereas on the cable braked cars it is anchored on the chassis and the pedal is in the middle, thus the bend is the other way round. At least that is what seems to be the case on all the cars I have looked at. I haven't noticed the shape of the pedals, certainly my clutch pedal that came with the car is oval and I no reason to believe that it is not original.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  14:16:28  Show Profile
When the M Type was introduced, MG were under pressure to get it to the 1928 London Motor Show, so quite a lot of Morris mechanical features were carried over into the new MG because they didn't have time to do otherwise. Once the MG engineers had a chance to design desirable modifications, they launched the 1930 spec with cable brakes, new dash, brake pedal bracket etc.

Malcolm
M Type

Edited by - Malcolm Eades on 14/10/2017 17:33:19
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  15:20:49  Show Profile
TYPO - I think you mean 1928 Motor Show Malcolm

Am I right about the pedal positions?

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 14/10/2017 15:21:43
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  16:17:12  Show Profile
John, is this what you are after?

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  17:18:46  Show Profile
The shape of the pedal rectangular looks OK but it looks more like a clutch pedal as there is no lug for the connection to the brake shaft. So I don't think it is. It also has a way to hold the pedal to the shaft so when it is depressed the shaft rotates with it. Whereas the one I need rotates on a fixed shaft. Hope that all makes sense as the early cars the shaft rotated on the end of the clutch shaft. See my first picture and the one below.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 14/10/2017 17:22:56
Go to Top of Page

ja.mcnab

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  17:34:10  Show Profile
Just to add to the fun here's a photo ( the one on right ) of a spare brake pedal I have, which I think is M type - oval pedal, canted to the left - see 2nd photo -seems right for chassis mounting. shaft dia meter .75". Happy to sell if useful to someone.

Anyone know what the other one is ? It is straight, shaft dia 0.63"

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  18:00:07  Show Profile
John,

Sorry about the typo, now corrected.

You are right. There should be a drilled lug just above the pivot hole, otherwise you have nothing to connect the pedal to the cross-shaft lug. I have tried unsuccessfully to find a picture but I can confirm that there is no crank in the pedal shaft: it rises straight up but has the elbow shape to present the face of the pedal to the foot. The chassis-mounted bracket provides enough displacement to the left to get it correctly aligned in the footwell, just inside the bodywork. So Tom's top picture, with the elongated rectangular top looks right apart from the absent connecting lug. ja.mcnab's lower picture would probably work but I wouldn't fancy doing an emergency stop with a pedal shaft that has that big hole in it!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  20:05:00  Show Profile
quote:
..................... but I wouldn't fancy doing an emergency stop with a pedal shaft that has that big hole in it!
Malcolm
M Type

My first thought as well. Nor the one with a chain on it !!!!

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 14/10/2017 20:07:06
Go to Top of Page

ja.mcnab

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  13:15:19  Show Profile
There is no " big hole" in the pedal - there is a round chalk mark on the smaller on - but it has provision for a cotter pin, so id not M type.May be a clutch pedal.

The one with the chain on it is marked " Morris ".

What is the diameter of the shaft on the chassis bracket on an M type ? 0.75" or 0.61"
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  14:37:35  Show Profile
Sorry Allan I too thought there was a hole in the pedal. Below is a picture of my clutch shaft which where the pedals should go it is 3/4" (0.75 in) but you can just see that the shorter end has been machined down to approx 0.621in this end is just the bearing on the opposite side of the clutch, i.e. the nearside. My shaft has been cut down at sometime so only the clutch pedal was on it. I think my car may have had an alternative braking system as the original hand brake had been disconnected, the hand brake was connected to the brake shaft and only two other brackets at either end remain, which rather indicates that it may have been fitted with hydraulic brakes.
I would think that all brake pedals have a lug on them whereas clutch pedals do not, likewise I would have thought that both have a tail at the bottom to take the return spring.
I maybe wrong, as my wife tells me, I frequently am.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 15/10/2017 14:42:14
Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  18:25:08  Show Profile
Hi Tom if the pedal in your picture is forsale. And John doesn't need it could I purchase it.
Thanks pat
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2017 :  19:30:00  Show Profile
Pat it's yours if its for sale.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked