Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 that K3 Rep again
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  09:47:54  Show Profile
here you go popsies this'll give yer something to natter about http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7139&whichpage=2....I'll open this can 'o' worms again as this cars back up for grabs https://www.handh.co.uk/buy/19332010-peter-gregory-mg-k3-evocation/14383....so sharpen yer claws note they've not called it an MG it's now a "Gregory".....by the way my idea which appears to be something along the idea touted in this thread.....(great minds think alike Eh!) of Registry verified and Registry unverified for chassis's and body type seems to make even more sense.....this Rep's not for me so my search for a 6 Cylinder goes on.....happy days

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 12/10/2017 09:53:59

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  12:06:08  Show Profile
From the advert:
quote:
Twin fillers, rare torpedo lamps, slab tank, hydraulic brakes etc.

Hydraulic Brakes !

Good to note that the maker is shown as Peter Gregory, and the chassis number is a modern VIN.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  14:41:58  Show Profile
exactly....this car is no MG for sure still nice though....this wouldn't be the only car marque that plays this game there's a Mercedes SSK, Chassis Nr. # 35937 a race car from the 30's it burnt to the ground and I mean burnt to the ground see the picture but it was rebuilt and up for sale at.....wait for it......(drum roll)..$7,000,000.....it's on youtube it's nice but $7Mil....

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 12/10/2017 14:54:46
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6010 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  15:29:20  Show Profile
According to the DVLA it's an MG, first registered in July 2010 but manufactured in 1933. Work that one out!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  15:56:49  Show Profile
so the next question is.....as this vehicle is a new build on a new chassis c/w new chassis number and is not really an MG but a Peter Gregory MG Evocation (Evocation....I hate these euphemism's) should this car not have to have an SVA test and pass the emissions test as part of the SVA approval plus every year have to pass the current MOT test well 3 years after first registration that is? I can't see how this car qualifies for DVLA Historic status....ok see the picture above....so it has to be taxed and MOT'd

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 12/10/2017 15:59:14
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  20:40:47  Show Profile
In answer to Simon, the date of July 2010 is the date when DVLA authorised the V5C. This is the standard practice for age-related registration marks or for Reconstructed Classics, the latter being what this 'thing' is.

JOHN JAMES DVLA Representative, MG Octagon Car Club.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6010 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  21:11:33  Show Profile
Thanks, John. I realised that, given that it has a VIN and not an MG chassis number, but then one wonders what 1933 as the date of manufacture means. Also the make is MG and not 'Peter Gregory' as in the advertisement. Whatever it is, it's not what it looks like (which is very nice, I have to say).

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  09:03:53  Show Profile
if it needs MOT and Tax etc, does it need seat belts?

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  09:33:12  Show Profile
This is the car we spotted at Silverstone Classic in the campsite and on the MGCC Clubstand back in July.
It looked really nice and naturally generated a lot of interest
It just goes to prove all is not what it may at first seem and hence Buyer Beware!

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  14:25:40  Show Profile
I think it's a lovely looking thing but like everyone's saying what is it? has it got an SVA certificate of approval? does it have to have seat belts? does it have to comply with the emissions test for new cars? (can't see a catalytic converter?) and on and on.......once it's on the road though I shouldn't think plod would bother pulling you over to check if it's got seat belts and the like as it looks like the real Mc'Coy.....it's nice but is it worth £110k plus.....not for me....I doubt it will sell......mind you I have been known to be wrong
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  15:40:21  Show Profile
There have been a few rumors over the years regarding historics in racing - keep the real thing nice & safe, whilst racing a patinated facsimile. Who would know if you had the real thing anyway? I don't think MGs are quite in that league just yet though...... But I did at first think that K3008 had been done an injustice in the Brands Programme described as a KN, only to find Clint does indeed have a copy of his real one!

Still not sure how the PG car is registered as an MG dating from 1933 though......
JH
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  18:47:54  Show Profile
As has been said Clones are made to race in place of the valuable original. My step-son had a AC Cobra which was very successful and had 'history'. They were made an offer for the car which they couldn't refuse. They later discovered that the buyer wanted the car, but was going make a clone to actually race.
Everyone knows they have such and such a car, and just assume that it is the original, but it ain't its a clone, and cannot be told apart from the original, down to the smallest detail.
Now they have another one and giving they are giving that good racing provenance.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 13/10/2017 18:49:47
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3229 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  10:30:51  Show Profile
There is another car on the market described as MG TB K3 body - see www.stevebakermg.co.uk

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2017 :  15:12:58  Show Profile
Slightly O/T but has anyone else seen the latest MSA council proposals to change the rules from "built before 19xx" to "of a type built before 19xx" therefore sanctioning and legalising all the supposedly "late production" cars and allowing them to run without Cats, seat belts etc. It will pretty much open the flood gates for replicas to enter events except where policed by the VSCC reliability criteria. Not sure what the MGCC rules are for racing as I never raced with them.

Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000