Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Communication between members - etiquette.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Westbury

United Kingdom
1961 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  11:03:23  Show Profile

I hope most members would agree with me that when one member responds to another as a result of a request for spares etc it is most ungentlemanly for a third person to gain an advantage by using any information intended to help the first member.

This happened to me today, please see under Parts Wanted. (MMM Yearbooks)

Regards,

Chris.

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  17:53:13  Show Profile
Hi Chris
If that happened it would be a bit unfair indeed.
But could it not just be a coincidence with someone buying it between the link being posted and you looking at it?
Bad luck yes bot no bad intent.
Maybe best to assume the best intent from fellow triple M members?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1961 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  18:13:41  Show Profile
Thanks Onno.
Yes, I did consider that possibility but It was what was said to me by the sellers that led me to my conclusions.

Cheers,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  18:38:23  Show Profile
"Maybe best to assume the best intent from fellow triple m members?" Maybe a few years ago Onno , not really now. A few months ago I sold someone a lot of bits from my spares to as he told me "help with his rebuild" on a Friday only to find the ##s##r# had put the lot on eBay by Sunday at prices higher than I'd charged him!!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  10:28:57  Show Profile
that's a capitalist Free market economy for you...no friends in business....I've always found that if you want to buy something always keep it under your hat till the deal is done...it's been like that ever since I can remember especially in the car world
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  10:34:36  Show Profile
He Wasn't a business/trader, was a supposed "enthusiast"
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  10:47:01  Show Profile
Ollie. I think you ought to mention his name in an informative and non-libellous way. If the jerk advertises for any parts in the future, we can then make a judgement as to whether we help him out or not.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  11:19:41  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, About time this forum started to name and shame !!

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3341 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  12:36:29  Show Profile
Whilst it might be tempting to exact revenge by "naming and shaming", this forum is not the place to do it. All that will do is start slanging matches, "he said" "no I didn't", "that's not fair", "it wasn't me" and so on. Several forums have gone down the drain as the majority who would not behave in an ungentlemanly way stop using the forum and then we all suffer.
If you have an issue with another forum member then please deal with it directly NOT use the forum as your personal soapbox (only I can do that!).
I have contacted Chris in a private email.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  22:56:37  Show Profile
Well said Nick, it was bad enough when inuendo was used to malaign various traders by their competitors on this site.

cheers
ross

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  11:49:29  Show Profile
I take your point Nick. I am well aware of two recent cases (one involving an Australian member (not you Ross) and the other closer to home) where very serious complaints were levelled against two different U.K. traders in circumstances where there could be arguments both for and against. I know the identity of both of the traders and in my view (and I suspect this would also be the view of many of my MMM friends), both of these traders are virtually flawless in their dealings offering a wide range of accurately made parts for our cars coupled with very efficient service. This emphasises the point you make, Nick and the wisdom in keeping such complaints off the forum. However, the case of a so-called enthusiast pretending that the goods purchased were to assist him in rebuilding his own car, only to sell them on at a profit within a matter of days. is completely different. Over the past 60 years I have often gone out of my way to assist new members with parts, copies of written articles and advice, and I would not wish to extend the same courtesies to the louse concerned. I will make a point of finding out who he is even if I will not be allowed to mention his name on this forum.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 20/10/2017 11:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3341 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  12:58:18  Show Profile
I think that the lesson here is to contact the member directly with a lead rather than post one here (remember this site is public). Word can spread very fast through casual conversation if there is a rogue who has not behaved in the way we expect fellow enthusiasts to behave.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  15:27:57  Show Profile
I fully respect your views and the rules of this forum and will abide by them, but I do not agree with it. In another group I support we have a policy of protecting our enthusiasts / owners from the people who would do us harm, either to relieve us of our spares, projects or money. Recently a ' restorer ' was cheating owners out of their money, we were very quickly able to advise our members nationally of the practice and stop the situation very quickly. Unfortunately some six or more owners were affected, the worst has lost £42,000, the car is undriveable and had to be scrapped. No point in litigation as no money was retrieveable. Without the warning I am sure that others would have been enticed into the web, the ' restorer ' was after collecting deposits, then not completing the work, in the end I had the job of contacting the owners to collect their projects from a field where they had been dumped...the ' restorer ' had done a runner leaving large debts. There have been other instances, but this is the worst that I have been involved with. Without the warning through the forum, many others I fear would have been sucked in.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  17:00:50  Show Profile
unfortunately as much as I agree with naming and shaming I think you'll find that this can lead to all kinds of legal problems as one person may well have grounds for naming and shaming but without hearing the account from both sides the forum could then end up being judge and jury on a particular trader who may have many other satisfied customers it's probably best to steer well clear.....but of course there's no problem with star rating reviews for traders especially if you can get Traders to sponsor the site by paying for an advertising banner and signing up to the review system if they're legit they've nothing to worry about in fact it would be a big plus for the Trader
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3341 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  20:11:23  Show Profile
Russ
We do have that system (without stars) on the "Suppliers" forum. Only those traders who have given good service get their name added to this forum by direct recommendation of the trader's good service by the member who received it, to me.
I would therefore encourage all members to use those traders on the list (and tell them that is why you used them). Also, if you do receive good service, let me know and I will add them to the list.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2017 :  07:47:27  Show Profile
But isn't the point that noting poor service is as vital as noting good service. A system that only records good works, however few and fails to record poor service how ever many is of little value to the users.

Many web sites provide a star system recording performance which builds up an average rating. Can this be done on this forum?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000