Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 rev counter
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  19:49:32  Show Profile
In the thread on 'K3 Reps' I was asked to post a photo of the rev counter that I acquired from the renowned Riley man, Nev Farquhar, in the 1970s for the princely sum of £25. So here it is.

A rev counter of this exact type was fitted to my car by the factory but they are seemingly as rare as hens' teeth. Patrick Henry said he had never seen one like it before, i.e. reading to 7000 rpm, and I've only ever come across two others. One was for sale on eBay some time ago (offered by Greg Clarke as I recall) and Chris Dancey said that the very sorry remains of one were with the J2s he found in Cyprus.

But far better that it's in an M.G. than a Riley, don't you think

Simon J
J3437

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  20:18:06  Show Profile
Well Simon it’s a lovely guage, who is the maker?
And yes as this is an MG MMM forum I will have to agree with you it looks better in an MG than a Riley, I don’t want a lynching, but only just and my Rev counter only up to 6000rpm to your 7000rpm so I concede.
However I know the Riley is a special/ replica/ copy etc etc but it’s fun and I enjoy it as I do the MMMS, all made to drive not to polish.
All above very tongue in cheek

Ashley

Oh is this the first photo of a Riley on the Forum and will anybody speak to me again!

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  20:44:43  Show Profile
Ashley,

I really do think that the Committee will have to consider your dreadful breach of protocol in posting a picture of a Riley. Shameless

The giveaway when I first spotted a similar rev counter in Nev's Riley was the three lines of script which are visible, but not legible, in this photo from the car's youth.

The writing says:
Speedometer Supply Co.
12 Gt Queen St.
Kingsway W.C.2

The Speedometer Supply Co. made a range of after market instruments as this article from Motor Sport shows.

John Marks, another instrument restorer of some repute, told me that SSC simply bought in the mechanisms to suit the specific requirements of the customer and in fact the mechanism in mine is apparently from a kph speedometer, presumably to give the required 0-7000 range.

I must admit that mine has ventured over the 6000 mark, but in third gear, I hasten to add!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 03/11/2017 20:46:25
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  21:59:24  Show Profile
I can confirm that J4129 also had a ' Speedometer Company ' rev counter fitted, the remains of it were in the dismantled parts. I sent to Patrick Henry but the grim news was the rev counter was beyond repair.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3060 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  22:50:30  Show Profile
At the back it looks like a governor speedometer. This one appeared on eBay in 2015.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  23:03:25  Show Profile
As I recall, that was the one that Greg Clarke was selling.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  17:42:17  Show Profile
As an MG plus Riley owner and equally enthusiastic for both, I cannot resist saying that The Riley special depicted above looks super. I especially like the dull green paintwork. I trust it goes as well as it looks and I don't mean to imply that the performance might be dull but more likely solid and sure.
I shall resist the great temptation to post a photo of my Riley Nine Kestrel (unless someone twists my arm) as its likeness has appeared in more than one bulletin over the last few years, as regular bulletin readers might remember.

Bob Richards (owner of PA1052, not sold yet but at least two prospective buyers in the offing).
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  19:57:12  Show Profile
Ashley - the Riley looks super, and Bob go and post a picture of your car.

I wonder how many members own both makes of pre war cars?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  20:17:07  Show Profile
Thank you Gentleman, yes it’s a super car, very lucky to own her. I have been MG MMM through and through, my first J2 at 21 years of age but there are lots of very nice other Marques.
The engine is built and tuned to Brooklands spec so it’s pretty fast, clearly I need a rev counter like Simons
Best Ashley
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  20:29:49  Show Profile
Original Advert.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  18:24:06  Show Profile
Although reluctant to once again highjack this thread on rev counters, I feel I must comply with the request of George Eagle our esteemed register secretary. So, here is a photo of our 1934 Riley Nine Kestrel, (not really a sports car as it does n't have a rev counter).
Bob Richards

Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  08:43:32  Show Profile
Well, if I must.....

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly