Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rubber heel mats
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  21:15:56  Show Profile
The rubber heel mats (also used for the passenger footrest) currently available have the MG octagon aligned with the long side of the mat as they are designed for the modern T Types where the mat sits across the carpet.

As a result, when used in our cars, where they are positioned longitudinally, the MG octagon sits sideways.

Is this the way they were and, if not, are correctly configured mats available?

Simon J
J3437

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  21:43:06  Show Profile
Mats with the logo running the other way used to be handled by the Collingburn boys, but I'm not sure whether they still do them. Mine in the PA came from Moss USA, although I expect the are available from Moss Europe. They are used in the TC/

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  21:44:09  Show Profile
Yeah you can get them... just ask Moss to make you 5'000 or so and you can have them :-)

I'm sure I remember my Dad saying that he and Tom Metcalf from Safety Fast restos http://www.safetyfastrestoration.com/about-us/
say and agree that these mats were originally charcoal grey for pre T-Type MGs. Tom Metcalf, Barry Walker or Tom Wilson would be the men to ask.

I may be wrong but I believe that the black T era ones are specifically made for Moss, this is who I get them from for use on carpets. As Moss don't cater at all or very little for MMM they have no need.

I don't know if the MG went the other way though. I imagine it only matters on Concours standard cars and if the judges don't know then don't anybody tell them otherwise :-).

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 21/11/2017 21:50:45
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  21:51:51  Show Profile
PS If anybody has a pair of rubber mats they want to sell then I will buy them.

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  22:15:23  Show Profile
It was only when starting to think about fitting a passenger footrest that it struck me that the logo was sideways. Easily enough fixed for the footrest, I suspect, with a sharp blade to cut the octagon out and reposition it and then stick the whole thing to the plywood base. Not likely to work on the driver's carpet, though? The mats are currently showing as being in stock with Moss - see https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=8985&q=280-995

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3059 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  11:13:43  Show Profile
The way the octagonal logo sits in the rectangle looks wrong or even amateur. Would a professional design a mat that way in the first place? Why a rectangle? Is it possible someone has simply been grafting car makers' names into the rectangle to sell their rubber mats?

Much the same mat is available much cheaper (£12) with 'Austin' more comfortably framed in the rectangle and I believe I have seen 'Morris' too.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  11:55:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

Is it possible someone has simply been grafting car makers' names into the rectangle to sell their rubber mats?

Sam,

How could you possibly think that? Such cynicism

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  12:01:51  Show Profile
Hi Simon

My method regarding the rubber mat on the toe board was to cut a suitable piece of rubber matting to size and mask the area to be preserved and using an angle grinder carefully sand down the edge all round.

Purchase a rubber door logo from one of our major suppliers and carefully cut to the appropriate shape and cut the female version into your mat.

Bond the items together using say black "Tiger Seal" and you have a reasonable rubber toe board mat.

Hopefully my gloomy photo shows you how it looks

Regards
Russell
PB0333
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
866 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  15:48:04  Show Profile
What about that floor mat, made from a MGB mat ?
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  17:35:33  Show Profile
I never cease to be impressed by the inventiveness of fellow Triple-M owners! Thank you Russell and Gerhard. Another project for my winter ‘to do’ list.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  21:28:29  Show Profile
Russell,

If that is gasket sealant where the remote control is bolted to the gearbox then Peter Green's tip in this thread is the answer - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5843&SearchTerms=Oil,leak,gearbox,remote,insulating,tape

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2017 :  15:34:02  Show Profile
Hi Simon

Thanks for the reminder I have seen that post in the past but have not followed through.

Car has not been on the road yet, however I think your right "it'll leak".

Regards

Russ
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  02:10:02  Show Profile
Simon, I have never seen a mat with MG octagon rotated 90 degrees. I believe they were positioned so the MG would be read from the opened bonnet side.

There was a small MMM grey batch made years ago of which I have 4 remaining for my Airline and J2. Who knows if it was a clean cutoff from MMM grey to TA black (doubtful) but any original T-series carpet I've seen has been black rubber mat.

Abingdon Spares in Connecticut sells black ones in a harder rubber than Moss, which makes them much easier to sew into the drivers side carpet.

Tommm on the sunny shores of Lake Erie
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6003 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  08:48:43  Show Profile
Tome,

Your comment about how the logo appears when viewed with the bonnet open (which is really the only time it will be clearly seen) prompted me to extend my search through the parts list and this picture is from the NA list.

Looks like it's sideways on!

Thanks.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  09:05:14  Show Profile
Is it just me? I don't see any logo in these images.
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  09:28:04  Show Profile
Kevin, i have tried to enhance Simon's picture, its the mat with B220/109 that has the logo.

Paul.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000