Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 K1/KN restorations
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  16:23:27  Show Profile

Many recent postings have focussed on the “ MG K3 replica “ as being something of an alien within the Triple- M community, and indeed there are a few instances where cars have been built with K3 characteristics, but have no historic MG basis for this classification. In fact many of the so-called MG K3 replicas have been built from “no hope” K1 and KN saloons. Some unfortunately were created from viable propositions.

Chris Harrill’s account of his arduous rebuild of a decrepit KN saloon to a K3 specification ( described in ‘Seeking information about a picture’) sets out the typical source and process through which many of the so-called K3 Replicas have been developed.

In fact many K1 and KN saloons have been brought back from the brink of loss by MG enthusiasts giving those cars a new lease of life. Chris Harrill is clearly a very dedicated enthusiast who typically has contributed towards maintaining the breed.

I too acquired the remains of a decrepit K1 saloon AEL116, initially having had a titled first owner.The body of the car was almost non-existent, and many parts were missing or unusable. I saw no possibility of restoring the few remains of the saloon body. However with great assistance over a period of twelve years from Triple-M enthusiasts and experts, I am able to bring this car to life again, bearing the characteristics of its sister car, a 1933 MG K3. Many thanks to all those who helped.

I have to reciprocate Chris Harrill’s comments. For those who contemplate such a project, it was a long, difficult and expensive experience, but I am delighted with the emerging result.

Powerplus

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  16:44:06  Show Profile
hear, hear Alan, well said. I guess you might have some complaints from the MG Authenticity Police, but not from me.

Isn't it all about "Maintaining The Breed"?

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6020 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  17:40:00  Show Profile
I was interested to see that of the 67 K1s listed in the printed Register, 37 of them are classified as ‘rebuilt in K3 style’. Judging by the standard of those shown in recent threads I can only envy their owners. Long may they thrive, and be accepted for what they are - blxxdy fine examples of the marque: ‘original’ or not; allocated a Register number or not.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  20:10:48  Show Profile
For goodness sake, let's not start this all off again. The committees dilemma is NOT cars that have been rebuilt from wrecks/basket cases. Its cars that may or may not have been a lot less than that. So can we all just get back to enjoying our cars, recording them properly for what they are & having fun with them.

Life really is just too short.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  20:28:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JMH

For goodness sake, let's not start this all off again. The committees dilemma is NOT cars that have been rebuilt from wrecks/basket cases. Its cars that may or may not have been a lot less than that. So can we all just get back to enjoying our cars, recording them properly for what they are & having fun with them.

Life really is just too short.

Well said that man.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  22:05:28  Show Profile
No more please. I believe we have thrashed this topic to death.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000