Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ashley Cleave Morris Special
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2017 :  23:03:18  Show Profile
Not quite Triple M material, but an interesting part of Morris Garages competition history...

I have recently acquired this great little car which was built in 1936 and then run in sprints, races, hill climbs, speed trials, and mud plugging trials by Ashley Cleave until 1974. I hope to use it on the road and in light competition once restored.

I would be very grateful to hear anything anyone may know about the car, to hear memories or see any photos.

Thanks!

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  06:54:25  Show Profile
I know nothing of its history but recall an interesting past from some recent adverts. Please keep us posted! Hi and welcome to.

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  09:02:14  Show Profile
Steven . Back in the 50s & 60s l had copies of the magazine called , l think , Motoring .
If l remember correctly there was often mention of Ashley Cleeve & his exploits so if you can get hold of any copies it will give some history of the car etc for you.
It was , l think , a Nuffield Group magazine & covered MG, Wolseley , Morris , Riley cars. Dad had a Morris 10 in those days .
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3217 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  09:22:39  Show Profile
Hello Steven

Welcome to our Forum.

You have certainly acquired a very well known car! I am sure some of our members will be able to help you with information, there must be many pictures etc in some of the magazines such as Motor Sport and Autosport.

George
Secretary
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  10:14:40  Show Profile
Thank you all for your very kind replies which are much appreciated.

Bill Boddy wrote an article about Ashley and his Morris in a 1973 edition of Motor Sport. There was also a similar write up in Autosport in 1969.

Pre war the car ran at Brooklands in September 1938 and at Poole Speed Trials and Backwell Hill Climb in 1939. There were also entries in the Lands End Trials from 1937-1939.

Post war Ashley ran at race and speed events at Shelsley Walsh, Prescott, Trengwainton, Brunton, Castle Combe, Davidstow, Brighton. Plus Gloucester and Fedden Trials.

I am sure there are many other entries I have yet to discover.

I would love to find more early photos of the car outside what is already on the internet.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  08:04:49  Show Profile
Hello Steve,

You have a great car with lots of history. Finding written reports should be quite easy if you simply read the motoring magazines of the time, if you haven't already, Attached (sideways)is something I copied, I think from Autosport , as the Mrs Osborn was at the time, thrashing my HRG.

Her husband also made it work for its keep.[

I suggest you try Ted Walker of Ferret Fotos and even the Revs Institute You will not be disappointed ( well maybe slightly )

Peter and J 3096
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  09:35:04  Show Profile
Hi Peter, many thanks for your reply.
Yes, I will have to check through all the copies of Autosport and Motor Sport sometime. Unfortunately I do not have sets myself (and to build runs up these days costs many £££!). I will need to visit somewhere like our National Motor Museum library.
Thanks also for your suggestion to speak to Ted Walker. I bought some nice photos from his stall at Beaulieu Autojumble last year and he is sure he has more. There are a couple of pics on the Revs site too.

Edited by - Ashleycleave on 06/01/2018 09:39:14
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  10:22:43  Show Profile
Any chance of posting a photo so we know what we're looking for in case it turns up in any photos?
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  14:04:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

Any chance of posting a photo so we know what we're looking for in case it turns up in any photos?

There's a couple of photos here

I forgot the car had a great Cornish registration number!

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23594/lot/495/

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  18:36:01  Show Profile

Steven.

Are you aware of the photos on MPL ?

http://motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?location_id=5&filter=ccv952

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  20:24:40  Show Profile
Colin,
Thanks for the link which leads to some excellent photos.

Brian,
Thanks also for this lead which I had seen. It is a very good one.
It shows the car in its first pre-war form on a Lands End Trial. Although the front of the car always remained the same, c1951 the rear was changed to a sloping tail. Smaller diameter (13") wheels were also fitted when the Morris was used only for speed events rather than mud plugging trials. It now has 16" rims which I think is a good more usable size for the road.

Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  20:28:26  Show Profile
This is a picture showing Ashley Cleave in the Morris in the early 1970s at Shelsley Walsh (courtesy of Morris Register Collection).

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  20:48:51  Show Profile
I'm really pleased this car has found a good new home and would love to see it competing again :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  21:14:36  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, I appreciate it.
It will take a while to screw it back together again but the aim is to use it on the road and in some speed events.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  21:16:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ashleycleave

Thanks Colin, I appreciate it.
It will take a while to screw it back together again but the aim is to use it on the road and in some speed events.

Please do keep us posted :)

Does it have a TA engine still?

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  21:48:20  Show Profile
It first had a Centric supercharged side valve Morris engine of around 850cc. The supercharger then got swapped to a Morris Series E engine. In 1939 Ashley started building up an unsupercharged Morris 10 XPJM engine linered down to compete in the 1100cc classes. The XPJM was/is the same basic unit as the later XPAG, but with a slightly smaller capacity and more spindly crank and con rods. The rebuilt car will use the same type of engine with the beefier (safer!) internals, and with twin SU's like Ashley ran.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000