Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hsitory of MGs at Donington
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  10:21:56  Show Profile
I m in the process of organizing some press releases and articles on our season ahead.

One of our focus points will be our return to Donington.

I would really appreciate if anyone can assist with content:

Any Cars that raced Historically at Donington, History, stories and Photos. Especially any that will be on the grid in 2018.
Any general Historical facts or points that might be interesting about our Cars at Donington.
Any good stories or photos of Post war racing at Donington!

Please can you send to me Direct at mdjdolton@gmail.com

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  10:41:42  Show Profile
Hello Mark. I have a copy of Bill Boddy's book on Donington which I can send to you. I would like it back when you have finished with it, but keep it for as long as you need it. It is a bit smaller than his well known book on Brooklands! It contains many references to M.G.s especially Bill Everitt driving QA0251, the first of the Q Types. This car is owned by Roger and Mark Daniell and will be out racing again in due course although it now looks rather different than when Everitt drove it in 1934 as it is being rebuilt with a copy of the single seat body which was fitted to the car in 1935.

There are also lots and lots of photographs of M.G.s racing at Donington which have been published in Yearbooks over the years.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 18/01/2018 10:43:47
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1484 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  11:08:20  Show Profile
Sorry Mark, I've nothing I can help with, but really looking forward to our returns to Donington both with the MGCC and the VSCC this season.

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  12:52:40  Show Profile
Thanks Colin I will contact you directly.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  15:13:54  Show Profile
Mark,
The following link appeared on the Prewar Minor website recently. I am not sure what the "etiquette" should be for using this image but Chris Lambert, who has an M type and follows this Forum will know as he runs PWMN.
Keith
http://prewarminor.com/triple-m-corner-no-78
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  15:26:33  Show Profile
great shot...is it K3009 R.M Mere?? before the single seat body

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  15:40:19  Show Profile
The entry list for the 13 May meeting suggests Robin Mere in his K3009.

© LAT
Go to Top of Page

Berthold

Switzerland
51 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2018 :  21:34:57  Show Profile
Empire Trophy Donnington, 04.04.1936. Conell on RA0257, Briault on RA0258 in the back.

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2018 :  20:06:34  Show Profile

A less powerful car at Donnington.P. H. Lim but not sure when!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2018 :  23:07:43  Show Profile
if you want to know what it was like there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqhyUveHRs

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCPcsOu9t4

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2018 :  23:28:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

Hello Mark. I have a copy of Bill Boddy's book on Donington which I can send to you. I would like it back when you have finished with it, but keep it for as long as you need it. It is a bit smaller than his well known book on Brooklands! It contains many references to M.G.s especially Bill Everitt driving QA0251, the first of the Q Types. This car is owned by Roger and Mark Daniell and will be out racing again in due course although it now looks rather different than when Everitt drove it in 1934 as it is being rebuilt with a copy of the single seat body which was fitted to the car in 1935.

There are also lots and lots of photographs of M.G.s racing at Donington which have been published in Yearbooks over the years.

Colin B.

The book is actually just a compilation of the race reports which appeared in Motor Sport, but without the original photos. The Motor Sport archive is available on their website though. Be aware that 1938 is almost a complete blank, as the magazine was in dispute with Donington Park over photographers' passes and so refused to report the races.
Go to Top of Page

Pots

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  09:28:02  Show Profile
Mark, looking forward to a return to Donington, we'll be there with the C Type (0287). The car raced there '34 - '36 in about 10 races with Louis Levy and D.S.Handley driving.. let me know what you need, I have a number of photos...

Pots
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  10:14:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the M

A less powerful car at Donnington.P. H. Lim but not sure when!

Mike Dalby

'PH Lim' should actually read Lim Peng Han. He was a Singaporean Chinese who raced at both Brooklands and Donington while studying in London. He can also be found as 'PH Lim' as a member of Ronald Littlewood-Clarke's team of three MGs which finished ninth in the 1931 LCC Relay Grand Prix.

He later became one of the leading drivers in Malayan motor sport and built several specials, mostly apparently based on Ford V8 mechanicals, but also including Peter Braid's Braid Special MG - which may also be the car driven by Chia mentioned in Motor Sport, September 1948.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/freepress19520802-1.2.48.19

http://limkokann.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/122-lim-peng-han-my-uncle-peng-han-at.html

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/september-1948/20/obituary
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
866 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  15:27:05  Show Profile
Not really historically, but famous driver and famous car.

Here we have K3021 allocated in 1979 by Syd Beer for Phil Hill to do some test laps at Donnington.
Short after this photo was taken, the engine over-reved when jumping over a bump on the track, a piston crumbled, and when removing a spark plug, you could see down to the surface of the road !

Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2018 :  22:33:57  Show Profile
Mr Limm also owned K3007 during WW2 & the T special which contained the EX135 radiator post war which is still on the car (went out to Singapore with 007). I vaguely remember meeting him as a youngster. 007 wZ itself entered for the British GP at Donnington, by Ron Horton non started due to illness.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
761 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2018 :  11:23:32  Show Profile
QA0255,
1937 D&DMC Nuffield Trophy Race. Dorothy Stanley Turner & Enid Ridell..... DNF... flagged off after being hit by a stone........?
What are modern Donnington's noise regulations? have to time the laps to coincide with overhead aircraft!
FOZ

Edited by - Foz on 21/01/2018 11:24:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000