Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 DVLA Historic Registration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  14:47:24  Show Profile
some of you clever chaps will know this having done this for MMM cars although nothing to do with MMM MG's (this time anyway)....I'm thinking about importing 1929 vintage motorcycle that has current Belgian papers it has over the years lost all of its original paperwork etc. so the seller can't tell me if it was first registered in the UK or if it had an original UK registration number or whether it was bought as an export model by an overseas buyer...what would I need with regards to paperwork from the seller for me to be able to register the bike with the DVLA as an historic vehicle / motorcycle and obtain an age related plate and correct paperwork with all the correct exemptions I'm assuming it's the same process for a Motorcycle as it is for a car and is there a cost involved......I hope that makes sense

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  19:20:07  Show Profile
Russ,

Before you do anything, make sure that the m/cycle has a frame stamping (get the evidence in the form of a clear photograph or pencil rubbing) and send this to the appropriate m/cycle club to ensure that they are happy with it and will steer the application through DVLA for you.

Then, if you decide to import the m/cycle make sure that it comes with the ORIGINAL Certificate of Title and that you obtain the import document known as NOVA from Revenue & Customs (NOVA = Notification Of Vehicle Arrival).

Then you'll need a V55/5 (obtainable by post from DVLA), a cheque for £55 payable to DVLA, a 'dating certificate' from the appropriate m/cycle Club, a cheque drawn in favour of the Club for their fee in handling the application, and evidence of your identity and residence.
The following link describes an owner's experience. There are a couple of pieces of evidence described in the link which you don't need to submit in support of the application i.e. insurance certificate and MoT certificate.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/registering-a-classic-motorcycle-in-the-uk-with-nova-form.html

Good luck!

JOHN JAMES (DVLA Representative MG Octagon Car Club).

Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  09:37:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John James

Russ,

Before you do anything, make sure that the m/cycle has a frame stamping (get the evidence in the form of a clear photograph or pencil rubbing) and send this to the appropriate m/cycle club to ensure that they are happy with it and will steer the application through DVLA for you.

Then, if you decide to import the m/cycle make sure that it comes with the ORIGINAL Certificate of Title and that you obtain the import document known as NOVA from Revenue & Customs (NOVA = Notification Of Vehicle Arrival).

Then you'll need a V55/5 (obtainable by post from DVLA), a cheque for £55 payable to DVLA, a 'dating certificate' from the appropriate m/cycle Club, a cheque drawn in favour of the Club for their fee in handling the application, and evidence of your identity and residence.
The following link describes an owner's experience. There are a couple of pieces of evidence described in the link which you don't need to submit in support of the application i.e. insurance certificate and MoT certificate.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/registering-a-classic-motorcycle-in-the-uk-with-nova-form.html

Good luck!

JOHN JAMES (DVLA Representative MG Octagon Car Club).

thanks John very helpful indeed

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  14:58:46  Show Profile
Do not expect a registration number that is anything related to a 1920's/1930's vehicle.
The DVLA, having just about run out of unused plate numbers, are issuing unused one's from the late 50's and early 60's.
There are various MMM cars running around now with "age related" plates that have the numbers before the letters. Three numbers/three letters - not even two letters/four numbers.
To get a correct looking plate, one would have to save up and buy from the various dealers in these things.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2018 :  11:40:47  Show Profile
Tony is absolutely correct. Over a decade ago I contacted DVLA to get an age related plate for my MG VA which was re-imported having gone straight to Canada from the factory in 1938. The only reg I could get was numbers followed by letters, the letters being UXM which was a little-used post-war series. DVLA are not issuing correct pre-war registrations as they have none left.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2018 :  13:58:42  Show Profile
I have VY 7946 on a retention certificate if it's of any use?

Asking £950
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2018 :  14:29:58  Show Profile
Of interest, but a little off this topic and may be of interest to others. Will I have problems ' getting back ' the original registration numbers for my two J2s ? I know both registration numbers and I have two original type log books RF60, one green and one yellow. J2353 was APB 560 and J4129 was ALX124 with the green log book. Both J2s are registered on this Triple M register and I have a certificate from the Kithead Trust verifying J2353. They did not have records for J4129.I understand that both need to ' look like ' and be complete cars, this is some way off, but I have made a good start...this is J2353. This is my first attempt at an MMM restoration and first time that I have had to try to reclaim original restorations. Second photos are later of J2353, more up to date with the correct bonnet, the other bonnet, first photo ( rusty ) is the original off J4129. Thanks. ( 'Poppet ' by the way was given the name by Michael Bird ).

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 25/03/2018 14:50:28
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  10:58:37  Show Profile
Hello Chris,

As you have the log books, there won't be a problem in reclaiming the registration marks.

Kind Regards, JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  18:11:38  Show Profile
Unless some previous owner has sold the number, so it is not available.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  18:39:55  Show Profile
Thankyou Johns x 2, noted, I am sure that neither number was sold, but I have sent an email to Angela Bird just to be sure. I will be in touch John James as soon as I get both/either J2s looking sensible.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  19:00:12  Show Profile
Neither number comes up on a DVLA enquiry and besides, would not the log book(s) have had to be surrendered if the number(s) was/were sold?

Edited by - John James on 26/03/2018 19:07:16
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  08:12:59  Show Profile
I have heard back from Angela, her late husband did not sell the registration numbers and both log books are not cancelled, attached is Dudley Cottinghams J4129. Thanks John.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 27/03/2018 08:22:05
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  15:22:10  Show Profile
That's good I know. I seem to remember that Cream Cracker on this form brought his Mk 1 18/80 from Australia where Rod Hiley had had it and he had to buy the original number at some cost to have it returned to the car. I think that is correct, Keith will put me right if its not.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000