Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 Rear Vision Mirror
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PMac

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  17:32:39  Show Profile
Can anyone assist with a rear vision mirror for a J2? Looking for a genuine item please. Need this to complete my restoration.
Thanks,

Peter

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  13:24:36  Show Profile
Peter

As nobody has replied to your post,you might be interested in the rear view mirror I fitted to my J2 some years ago. As is well known,the normal mirror bracket is fixed to the horn push and is a somewhat flimsy item which allows the mirror to shake. Richard Hardy at Vintage MG Parts now markets a thicker bracket which apparently eliminates shake. However,he also produced a triangular bracket which bolts to the scuttle and,from memory,may have been modelled on the type fitted to J4s? I purchased and fitted one of these and it provides a really rigid support and mirror utilizing the original glass and clamp.You need to be careful fitting it to the scuttle to ensure that the mirror can be adjusted without fouling the screen,as obviously it sits nearer than the original position. I also fitted a rubber cover to the clamp nut at the rear to prevent any vibration against the screen.
I appreciate this is not the answer to your question,but all I have left available is the original horn button mounted bracket.

David R

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1544 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  19:26:13  Show Profile
Peter,
There was neither a 'standard fit' nor a period MG accessory interior rear view mirror listed for Triple-M cars, so all offerings are aftermarket and invariably positioned too low for good rearward vision, particularly with a loaded rear luggage rack and with a raised hood.

It might be worth looking at: Documents Downloads - Technical from the Register "Home" page:
"Interior: Rear view mirror. Download pdf 463 Kb."

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  19:51:43  Show Profile
As you would say, Bruce, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000