Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Historical Information Resources ??
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt Spoljarevic

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  09:48:26  Show Profile
I have recently purchased a 1930 MG M type (car 2M3440), and I am trying to find out more historical information about the car.

I know the previous owners dating back to 1979 when it was in NZ, and those that followed from 1981 to date in Australia, however I would like to try and track its history prior to 79.

It does appear it was first registered in NZ in 79, so there is a chance it was either imported around that time, or had gone a long period in NZ unregistered.

Is there any databases/resources in the UK, that may be able to provide details of the car based on the chassis number alone?

Any help would be appreciated

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  10:51:51  Show Profile
Hi Matt

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of the M type.

2M3440 is listed in the Triple-M Register with Register number 2109, it is one of the last M types to be manufactured. We can supply a metal car badge engraved with this Register number.

The Register produces a an annual Yearbook and also publishes a bi-monthly Bulletin, the subscription form can be downloaded from the Documents Section of this web site - the badge order form is also in the Documents Section.

The person who looks after the M types is Mike Dalby who is both Registrar and very knowledgeable on the model. I am sure he will be in contact with you following your request for information on the car.

The MG Car Club, Abingdon, holds the factory files and can supply copies of the paperwork for a small fee. Some of the records did not survive but hopefully the one for your car has.

You will find this Forum to be very useful, it contains much information and our members are always very willing to respond to requests for information.

I am sure the M type will give you much pleasure.

George
Secretary.

Edited by - George Eagle on 08/04/2018 10:54:19
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  03:50:09  Show Profile
Hello Matt,
As a previous owner of 2M3440, I have some pictures & records, but nothing beyond what you have found for it's NZ origins.

Here is 2M3440 doing the sprints in Albany WA when owned by Peter Briggs.

Cheers
Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Matt Spoljarevic

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  04:37:35  Show Profile
Thanks Tony ... Sorry I missed you at Abingdon's yesterday, I've been away for a week over seas, and now I've been spending time catching up on week's worth of work as a result
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  06:00:51  Show Profile
There is a gathering of SE Qld M-Type owners this Sunday at a bayside home - can we meet up there ?. Send me a message.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  06:24:14  Show Profile
And here is 2M3440 at the All British Day in 2012 with two of his mates !.

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  10:13:47  Show Profile
The car had a build date of the 30 April 1932 and was always a metal panelled car. The only previous owners I have apart from those that you know is that it was purchased in 1981 by Colin Schiller for the York Motor Museum in Western Australia.
Welcome to the wonderful world of M types!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  11:04:27  Show Profile
Mike your records need refining.
The car was purchased for the York Motor Museum (Peter Briggs) in March 1981 from New Zealand. Previous owner in NZ was John Beech.
Colin Schiller purchased the car from the York Motor Museum many years later (2009).
I purchased the car from Colin in 2012.
It passed to another owner in 2013.
It returned to Colin's ownership in 2017 & has subsequently been sold to Matt.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 10/04/2018 11:08:32
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2018 :  11:43:31  Show Profile
Ta

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  02:44:02  Show Profile
Hello Matt,

Is this your car ?

The attached photo may be of some interest. It was taken early 1980, near Tokoroa, a timber and farming town in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand. The J2 was attending a rally (while in its blue period) when along came the red T type, A framing the M behind it.

I cannot remember the owners name but I have a vague memory he was trying to sell the car so it all might fit in quite nicely.

Peter and J3096 (back in its original 2 greens )

Go to Top of Page

Matt Spoljarevic

Australia
15 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  04:23:24  Show Profile
Sorry gentlemen, I have been fairly sporadic on the net of late.

Tony, thanks for the pics & Info ..I spoke to Brian a couple of nights ago, and he filled me in on what's happening Sunday .. I'll be there :)

Mike, Thank you for the info, I was of the opinion the car was 1930, but with the late chassis number of 3440 I was wondering .. I wasn't sure if the year model was incorrect, or if they may have only built a handle from 1930-32

Peter, Thank you for the pic, that looks like the car at the back but I can't see the plate .. I know the NZ Rego number was JM30 and the owner was John Beech (or at least that is who owned it at the time it came to AU)

I've done a search in Carjam for the NZ Rego check, and it shows both JM29 & JM31 as being registered in 1979, but there is no record for the M Type's JM30 plate.

Edited by - Matt Spoljarevic on 12/04/2018 04:32:33
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  12:25:32  Show Profile
Peter
I cropped the picture above to save space
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic