Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Interior rear view mirror
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3339 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  18:05:19  Show Profile
I have added a document to "Document downloads | Technical | Interior" on the above subject written by Bruce Sutherland.
Thank you Bruce.

Nick

Webmaster

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  19:12:43  Show Profile
Bruce,

In your document you say:
'interior rear-view mirrors were neither a standard nor a period-listed accessory for Triple-M models'; and

'An interior mirror was neither a standard fit nor offered as an period MG accessory'.

I hope you know more about mirrors than you appear to do about M.G.s (Hint: J2s and L2s).

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1544 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  19:39:41  Show Profile
Simon,
You may possibly be correct, BUT apart from when used in 'open' configuration, a short-stemmed scuttle-mounted interior rear view mirror is next to useless with a loaded rear luggage rack or with the hood raised, HENCE using modern-day vehicle design legislation to guide a more effective mirror position make eminent good sense!

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  19:48:21  Show Profile
Bruce,

I am correct.

I wasn’t commenting on the efficacy of J2 and L2 mirrors - I was simply pointing out that they exist which you didn’t seem to realise. We all know, or at least those of us who drive J2s and L2s know, that they aren’t much use, but that’s another matter altogether and some of us have already made alternative arrangements.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/04/2018 19:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  08:01:18  Show Profile
Bruce,

What solution have you come up with for your car and how do you find it works in practice?

I must confess that I didn't feel the need to consult modern-day vehicle design legislation when resolving my mirror problem - I simply fitted a larger mirror, slightly higher up and this works perfectly. I used the TD/TF mirror fitted to one of the Lucas style 'A' brackets that Rich Hardy supplies and with the standard small half-round rear window in the hood I can see the traffic behind me clearly and I also find that an overtaking car appears in my side mirror on the windscreen before it disappears from view in the rear view mirror. Perfect!

The only blind spot is rear three-quarters on the nearside and I really must get round to fitting some sort of screen mounted mirror on the passenger side.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  09:21:34  Show Profile
I have to say Simon that I have said N/S mirror fitted in the standard MG position and cannot see much in it while driving. It's great for Claire though as she has a real rear view, as indeed I have in the O/S one. I really don't find a great need for the scuttle one.

Thinking further about it, I have mine set horizontally rather than the classic MG vertical orientation. This gives a much wider field of view and will certainly remain on my side. On the other hand, positioning Claire's one vertically might improve my view on that side. Let's see what I've decided on by Scotland!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  09:39:12  Show Profile
Dave,

I’d come to the conclusion that a near side mirror mounted in the same way as the driver’s side one wouldn’t work but I haven’t come up with a solution that would work which is why I haven’t yet got round to fitting anything. I think one of the oval mirrors (rather like the ones you just sold!) mounted on the frame of the screen would do the trick. My driver’s side mirror won’t sit horizontally as the arm gets in the way so I’ve no option but to have it vertical.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  10:18:32  Show Profile
Simon, I'm not on my own computer just now, so can't add a photo, but I have a n/s mirror simply bolted to the the lower part of the windscreen pivot slot (which means I have to remove it to fold the screen flat). From that position it is high enough to see clearly behind , and is very useful for lane-changing and exiting large roundabouts. You can see it in May.

Incidentally I've always had both side mirrors mounted horizontally, as that gives a much broader view. I've never understood why contemporary pictures always show it in the vertical position.

I have a small interior mirror fitted, which gives a good view to the rear, as I hardly ever have the hood up, and use one of Paul Ireland's's excellent low level luggage racks.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  11:21:29  Show Profile
Thanks, Colin. That’s a common way of fixing mirrors on P Types (and, indeed, modern T Types) but doesn’t work on the J2 screen. The arm of my driver’s side mirror prevents the mirror from sitting horizontal so I’ve no choice but have it vertical.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1544 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  12:28:02  Show Profile
Simon,
In compliance with your kind advice in response to the last line of my original post ...."These suggestions are offered for comment and improvement."..........the Technical Download has now been updated.
Thank you again.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  13:32:10  Show Profile
Dear Bruce and Forum:

Various factors sell interior and exterior mirrors plenty of options.
I have two on outside on the windscreen and a polished metal internal mirror on a suction cup .
The internal mirror is places high up in the middle of the windscreen.
Which offers excellent rear vision .
The only downside is the internal mirror is no use when windscreen is in boy racer mode ie. down.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  17:22:13  Show Profile
Thanks, Bruce.

How have you tackled the problem? As I said, I find the TD/TF mirror gives plenty of rearward vision even with the small rear window. I would find no benefit in making the window any bigger since you sit so close to the mirror, and the window is so close behind you, that its size really doesn't restrict vision. It would take a much larger mirror (and there isn't room for one) to necessitate a larger window.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000