Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB0553
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NeilC

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  15:59:06  Show Profile
Hi all,

Been looking for a PB for well forever.. One has come up at Barry Walker that outwardly looks in fine fettle. Does anyone have any history on the car they could share?

It appears from the registry entry that it was formerly a four seater, how would this affect it's value seeing as it has been rebodied? Appears to have been some time ago as there are pictures in the registry as a 2 seater.

Also, the car appears to have been first registered in April 1934. I thought PB's started production in 1935? At least this is what DVLA have on record.

Cheers,
Neil

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  16:25:03  Show Profile
PB:s were made during 1935 - not 1934. For example my PB 0635 was finished in the factory 10 december 1935 and sold 10th January 1936. I asked if it should be labeled 1935 or 1936 on this forum and was told that it is the "sold" date that decides the year.

Cheers
Widung
PB0635
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  17:48:37  Show Profile
My PB (PB0560) which was built only 7 cars later was built in November 1935. Of course, that was only the running chassis, as the chassis then went to Carbodies for fitting the Airline Coupe body. But definitely NOT 1934.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  20:03:49  Show Profile
As a matter of interest, according to the Factory records, the original engine number of PB0553 was 802APB rather than 925.....

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

NeilC

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  21:07:28  Show Profile
Plate was originally BPE 475 on 14/4/1934 then ERH 6 on 20/09/1999.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  21:26:47  Show Profile
That chassis plate looks very like a repro to me. Should not the presentation be PB/0553 and for the engine, 925 APB?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  22:44:52  Show Profile
It would be worth checking the chassis number on the knuckle.....
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  22:47:53  Show Profile
And reg no BPE 475 is currently sitting on an MG TF (new version) registered in 2002.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  23:04:17  Show Profile
So that's what 'matching numbers' means - the numbers match what's on the reproduction guarantee plate! I always thought the term meant the engine and chassis numbers matched those of the car when it was built. Silly me!

As an aside, 925 APB was originally fitted to PB0698 and indeed the 199 PB code, while stamped on the block, would not have appeared on the guarantee plate.

Simon J
J3437
P.S. PB0553 was indeed a black four-seater with green trim and was apparently released from the factory on 4 December 1935. It is listed as being sold through Morris Industries Export Ltd but there is no indication of where it was exported to.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 12/04/2018 23:15:13
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  23:14:25  Show Profile
Dear all ”PB 0553”
I have known the owner of this car for many, many years both as a friend and a loyal customer. He is a superb engineer and I can wholly justify my description of the workmanship and engineering of the car in question. Knowing this chap for over 30 years you can understand my acceptance of the vehicle as advised, and believed the date of 1934 was due to the DVLA (issuing an age related number?)
It was pointed out to me this week, whilst waiting for the chassis file, that the PB engine and PB gearbox currently fitted are NOT those that it left the factory with, though both are genuine PB units. This prompted me today to remove the front apron (a horrid task on a mint P type). To my astonishment I found the dumb iron had been incorrectly stamped some time in its life (the letters and numbers were all in a straight line!) Will teach me to check EVERY car, even those from the most honourable sources, or wait for the Register History to arrive before writing one up. As most of you well know, I will not sell anything that is mis-described or mis-represented and in view of the facts discovered and in spite of the opportunity to sell one of the best rebuilt MMM cars I’ve ever had, this car is immediately being withdrawn from sale.
Whether it is offered again, correctly described, will be entirely up to the owner.
I'm as disappointed as those that wanted it. We'll get another.

Out of interest, can you believe that the wholly original, 53,000 mile PA 4-seater I was selling (on MMM stand at Stoneleigh) has sold to a man in the ORIGINAL town the car was first registered, and to a man who knows the daughter of the first owner and lives less than 2 miles from the garage that first sold the car. If ever a car was destined to have a charmed life, this was it!!

All best, Barry Walker.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  23:36:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Walker

Dear all ”PB 0553”
I have known the owner of this car for many, many years both as a friend and a loyal customer. He is a superb engineer and I can wholly justify my description of the workmanship and engineering of the car in question. Knowing this chap for over 30 years you can understand my acceptance of the vehicle as advised, and believed the date of 1934 was due to the DVLA (issuing an age related number?)
It was pointed out to me this week, whilst waiting for the chassis file, that the PB engine and PB gearbox currently fitted are NOT those that it left the factory with, though both are genuine PB units. This prompted me today to remove the front apron (a horrid task on a mint P type). To my astonishment I found the dumb iron had been incorrectly stamped some time in its life (the letters and numbers were all in a straight line!) Will teach me to check EVERY car, even those from the most honourable sources, or wait for the Register History to arrive before writing one up. As most of you well know, I will not sell anything that is mis-described or mis-represented and in view of the facts discovered and in spite of the opportunity to sell one of the best rebuilt MMM cars I’ve ever had, this car is immediately being withdrawn from sale.
Whether it is offered again, correctly described, will be entirely up to the owner.
I'm as disappointed as those that wanted it.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

NeilC

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  00:08:09  Show Profile
Thanks all. Looks like I'm still looking for a PB! :)
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Allen

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  11:06:19  Show Profile
Neil - email sent.

Andrew Allen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: