Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Moving a lathe.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  21:14:56  Show Profile
Hi,

Sorry for this being a little off topic, but can anyone recommend a suitable machinery moving company in the Colchester, Essex, UK area to move my approx 950kg lathe from one house to another?

Thanks, Paul.

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  08:11:58  Show Profile
HI Paul, when I moved my lathe, a Boxford, I dismantled it completely into manageable parts, then spent a happy frustrating week putting it back together again!
Regards,
Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  16:22:17  Show Profile
Paul, what make / model of lathe is it, possibly a Triumph 2000 at this weight. If it helps, I do have one or two certificated lifting eyes from when I moved my machines

Feel free to email me direct if these may help. They fit a Bridgeport and, a Colchester Triumph 2000.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  17:32:04  Show Profile
Hello Paul,

Here in the US we have Millwrights. They use heavy lift equipment to remove machinery and set up the same for manufacturers. You may be well served by having one of these type of specialty companies move your lathe and set it up safely.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  17:39:43  Show Profile
Hello, Paul.

When I moved to my present home from Shrewsbury, just 25 miles away,I was quoted £400 to move my machines from pavement to pavement (outside each respective house). A lot of money 20 years ago and I would still have needed to move the machines quite a distance to and from the pavements / workshops. I therefore bought a mobile crane for £199 and like Mike, dismantled my lathe and milling machines into more manageable pieces and moved everything myself. I still have the crane and it has proved indispensable for several other lifting jobs here over the years.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  22:30:28  Show Profile
Try this website and specify what you are searching for http://www.localsearch24.co.uk/essex/search-results.aspx?Business=Removals+Industrial+and+Business&Location=Colchester&SearchRadius=30

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  05:55:16  Show Profile
Hi all,

The lathe is a Hardinge HLV, unfortunately not a lightweight beast!
I'd be a bit reluctant to even try and take it apart as I doubt I would get it back together successfully.

I certainly was looking at using a proper lifting company to move it as like most pieces of machinery, it is very top heavy and doesn't take much to go off balance and destroy various parts of the machine, and whoever happens to be under it.

I had tried who I thought were the people who brought it to mine in the first place, but they seem to be reluctant to give me a price to move it again for some reason. Must get on to them to find out why.

Chris - by a 'mobile crane', what type of thing are you referring to? An engine hoist type of crane?

I'll try the general search suggested by James as my house move date is looming and need to get something sorted.
Maybe someone can bundle house move with the lathe...

Many thanks
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  09:01:44  Show Profile
Hello,Paul.

Yes, my crane can be used as an engine hoist and I have also used it for that purpose.I bought it new from a now defunct ‘Hathways’ In Shrewsbury.

The crane/hoist will lift 1 and 1/2 tons.

Cheers,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  11:18:23  Show Profile
I remember seeing someone advertising this service on eBay on boxford lathe section.
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  11:21:10  Show Profile
Hi Paul

Over the years I have had to move my machines from workshop to workshop and have had my fair share of disasters including my old Harrison 140 falling off a forklift (not driven by me I hasten to add) . Engine hoists are fine for moving small lathes like Myfords and Boxfords but even with these small machines you will find you cannot lift them very high and you struggle to get them high enough to load onto a trailer. Engine cranes dont run very well over rough ground, gravel and grass !!! About 2 years ago I purchased an immaculate long bed Harrison M300 from a dealer in Peterborough. He gave me the name of a self employed machinery mover who was excellent. He does work for many of the secondhand industrial equipment dealers. In fact when he delivered to my workshop he recognised my mill which he had removed from the previous owners shed. He is based in Bury St Edmonds so not far from you. Can't remember his rates but I recall it was very reasonable at the time and cheaper than all the other quotes I had. I have called him and he is happy to have his number posted. John 07850 935968. You would need to discuss how to get the machine kerbside etc. For my Harrison , when delivered, he placed it into the workshop entrance and I used some blocks of wood and bottle jacks with a piece of angle iron under the lathe bed to lift each end of the lathe up in turn and put it onto low trolleys purchased from Machine Mart. This enabled me to wheel it to the back of the workshop and repeat the process of jacking to get it off the trolleys. If your lathe stand is flat bottomed you could of corse use rollers like short scaffold poles. Hope all this helps. I remember at the time I did see some good articles on moving lathes on the internet using a google search.

Regards Mark. PS I have no financial interest to declare with respect to Johns Haulage business just a very satisfied customer.
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  12:21:05  Show Profile
Try also looking at Tony Griffiths site lathes.co.uk. Excellent article on moving lathes. Extreme right of top toolbar on home page. For anyone looking for lathe or general machine tool parts, manuals, advice etc this is an excellent resource.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2018 :  20:08:05  Show Profile
Mark,

Thank you.

I will give John a call at slightly more acceptable times than a Saturday evening!.

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

AVBowden

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2018 :  14:29:17  Show Profile
At work we used to use Beck & Pollitzer to move everything from large CNC machine tools to Myfords, so they have the capability.

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2018 :  22:11:27  Show Profile
Today, I had my lathe moved by John, as recommended by Mark above.

Very pleased with the service - all went very smoothly and made moving a ton of lathe look very easy.

Definitely recommended..

Paul.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000