Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 VAT and Duty
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  21:40:59  Show Profile
I'm sending parts from the USA to UK for repair and return and don't want the vendor to have to cope with VAT, duty, and customs.
Carrier is USPS - the post office.
What forms and notations should I use/make so we don't run into problems?
I'll list and insure for correct value.
Thanks!

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA

NeilC

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  00:28:26  Show Profile
I dont know what forms you need from USPS you'll have to ask them. However your shipment will be liable for duty and vat coming into the UK, assuming it has a value. It depends if you want to pay the duty and vat liability or let the receiver pay for it once customs have calculated the duty and vat based on your declaration. If you don't want the received to pay these charges, you will have to send it DDP, delivered duty paid, to ensure that the person on the other side gets it without delay. For something like this, I would use a carrier like FedEx or UPS and not the post office and declare and pay the duty and VAT up front. When they send it back to you they should use a carrier as well and send it back as DDU, delivered duty unpaid, so you are liable for the charges when you receive the items back. Someone will call you to ask for payment from the carrier, send you a bill, or ask for COD for the charges. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  07:09:16  Show Profile
Tom,

The company in the U.K. doing the repairs can use Inward Processing to get relief from Customs Duty and import VAT on goods that are imported from outside the EU to be processed, and then exported outside the EU. See - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inward-processing

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  20:00:46  Show Profile
Thanks Guys. I think we have it figured out now.

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000