Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Car Lifts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tholden

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  12:03:11  Show Profile
Has anyone any experience of using a mobile scissor or platform lift which can be purchased in the UK. Now I no longer have my workshop I am looking for a lift suitable for both my MGA and a Triple M car to use in my home garage. Have looked at the different suppliers and types available but getting accurate information from the suppliers is like getting blood out of a stone.
Thanks

TH

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  14:35:43  Show Profile
Terry,

While I have no personal experience of this company - SJR Garage Equipment in St Helens near Liverpool - they offer a narrow scissors lift - see http://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/scissor-car-lifts/

It is only 900 mm wide so would comfortably allow a small Triple-M car to drive over it and at 900mm, the lift should nicely coincide with the chassis. It's on my 'wish list' but hasn't yet reached the top!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/05/2018 14:36:18
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  14:45:06  Show Profile
Hi Terry there has been a thread on the VSCC forum and this https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproductEZcarlift.asp#prettyPhoto seems to one a few use. Like the video with the chap wearing sandals (sackable offence I would think!)

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  14:59:11  Show Profile
Thanks Simon. In the last month I have sent them several messages and telephoned asking for information but have received nothing. I will try again. Will have a look at the Holden one John -thanks.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  15:22:17  Show Profile
I've had the same experience, Terry, but since I wasn't yet ready to buy I didn't pursue it any further. But a first glance it seems ideal for Triple-M cars and lifts quite a bit higher than the one offered by Holden.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  16:02:05  Show Profile
Terry, I think you have seen the one in my garage, which came from Richardson Garage Equipment in Wigan: Four post and the cheapest available.

http://www.rgegarageequipment.co.uk/4-post-garage-lifts-richardsons/

It works fine, but the catches can be a little pernickety and need careful setting, so make sure it is done well.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  16:03:52  Show Profile
Terry

I have an earlier version of https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/
and am very happy with it. It provides 1 metre lift and access under the centre of the car which many lifts do not easily allow. I have a standard height garage and so a two post was out of the question.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Dave Wilcox

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  20:07:13  Show Profile
Terry
I purchased a electric hydraulic lift from the late Terry Andrew's for working on my J1. I have found it useful but have add wooden floor boards to raise the car 2 inches from the floor allowing easier positioning before lifting. It reduces to about 3 inches in height when fully collapsed and about 3 feet when fully extended. The only downside is that its great when working on wheels and brakes, but access to the complete underside is restricted
Please email direct if you would like photo's

David
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  20:25:19  Show Profile
Tim I sent you a message via the forum asking how you lift your car with this ramp. Do you use some cross supports and if so where do you pick up on the chassis. This type of ramp will I think be much better for the A but more difficult for a Triple m.
David yes I considered the last one Terry had of these but decided against it for various reasons one of which was the restricted access. Thanks nevertheless for your help.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  22:30:25  Show Profile
Terry

I have replied to you direct.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  09:02:47  Show Profile
Hi All

Another company that may be able to help is CJ Autos(Heywood)

Have noticed their ads but have no connection.

Russ
PB 0333
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2018 :  08:05:18  Show Profile
Hello Terry

I was wondering whether you arrived at a decision based on the various options aired in this thread - or perhaps others?

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2018 :  18:56:24  Show Profile
I got a four post lift in my garage I've had it for he past 4 years cost me £1800 but I had to put it together myself easy enough but sure was heavy I got it from these guys they do all manner of lifts I'm sure they do build service...anyway never had any problem with it whatsoever
https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 13/07/2018 19:01:34
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2018 :  19:29:03  Show Profile
I have been looking at a scissor type hoist for some time,but the main problem has been the width which is usually about 1100-1200mm. This
would create no problem for my MGB GT,but neither my J2 nor my Austin 7 saloon could drive over it. However,an acquaintance who runs an Austin 7 business pointed me in the direction of SJR Garage Equipment who sell a 900mm scissor lift - he uses one in his business and says he doesn't know how he managed without it.He has even had his vintage Lagonda on it.

I have now ordered one,but it has not yet been delivered.It runs off normal domestic electrics and the full specification can be seen at sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/scissor-car-lifts. SJR are based in St Helens,tel 01744 732003.The proprietor seems to know his old cars from my discussion with him,and i found him very helpful. The cost including delivery is just over £1360 including VAT

I will report further when it is delivered and in use in my garage.
Usual disclaimers - just hope it makes working on the cars that bit more comfortable as the years advance.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2018 :  00:57:38  Show Profile
Dick after due deliberation and advice from Tim Sharp who was very helpful I purchased a Montfort lift from Strongman. It is very similar to the one Tim has and is a very well made bit of kit. It will enable me to lift a variety of cars as well as Triple M cars.
These lifts are all very heavy and I had to borrow a fork lift and enlist the help of two strong friends to get it unpacked and in to my garage. The great advantage of this type of lift is that you get access to the middle of the car which is not possible with the smaller scissor lifts as already mentioned.
Give me a call if you want any further information.

TH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2018 :  03:38:34  Show Profile
A few years ago, I purchased a Direct Lift 4 poster. Just the thing if you have to get 5 cars in a 4 car garage. However, if you plan to put a Triple-M car on it, just be sure to measure the track of the car compared to the inside track width of the lift. I can put the modern cars on it as well as the TD. But the PA and PB would fall right through if not placed VERY carefully. So far I haven't even thought about trying.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 14/07/2018 03:39:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000