Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Car Lifts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  10:28:15  Show Profile
Lew

Just a thought.

My scissor lift track width is too large for the PB (and also the tapering chassis front end of my TR6). To resolve this I have created two cross members which then allow me to put blocks at any point across them to then support under the chassis, front and rear. When creating the front cross member I used two pieces of steel 90 degree angle with a plate down the centre (making a U section, hope that makes sense) the distance between the two uprights of the U were set so that I can put a small scissor jack into the well. If I need to do gearbox or clutch work on either of the cars the car and front cross member are positioned so that the blocks lift the car as required and I can then put the scissor jack into the channel and support the engine just in front of the bellhousing. I can then jack the back of the engine up for support, release the bellhousing and gearbox mounting bolts and easily slide out the gearbox with the car on the lift.

Just an idea but one that has worked for me over the years, gearbox out and clutch work is now not such a daunting challenge.

Kind regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton

Edited by - Tim Sharp on 23/07/2018 10:29:45
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  14:45:31  Show Profile
Good idea, Tim. However, my problem is in getting the car on the lift. If I tried to drive it on, there would be a very good chance of the PA ending up BETWEEN the rails.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  16:51:07  Show Profile
Lew

Ah!! I understand. I'm lucky in that my lift is set into the floor of my garage and so driving on and lining up is no problem.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  18:41:39  Show Profile
Is it possible to weld an "L" section rail to the inner sides and cut some thick ply boards to sit on them. When the car is in place remove all but those holding the wheels?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Christopher Hobbs

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2018 :  07:57:00  Show Profile
I would recomend the range of full lifts from Strongman - based near Leamington Spa - I had it installed by them, very reliable and easy to use with central trays to catch oil and dropped nuts, these can be slid aside as needed.
Used on my K1 but also on heavier cars.
No connection other than satisfied customer - happy to show if wished!

Christopher K0334

C.Hobbs
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2018 :  09:12:53  Show Profile
I have seen the following advert which may be of interest - I don't think it has been mentioned before but apologies if it has. https://carlift-ramp-mr1.com/

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2018 :  22:45:17  Show Profile
Hi. I use this from strongman tools:
http://sm-t.co.uk/product/clifton-3-ton-lift/

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page