Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Vertical drive washers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kjrj

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2018 :  23:41:53  Show Profile
Transferring parts from L head to N head, as per my email yesterday. There was something suspicious about the vertical drive on the L: no fewer than four shims between the head and the drain housing, providing a good 40 thou. (1 mm) of spacing. Having moved the parts over to my "new" head, I find that this is still needed for satisfactory meshing of the top bevel gears.

I am wondering whether the washers between the Hyatt drive and the vertical drive pinion are correct. I have two washers, which seems to be correct from the diagrams. Blower says that one of them, the thrust washer, should be 0.171 to 0.179" thick. Can anybody advise how thick the other one should be?

If my washers are the correct thickness, and if 40 thou. plus of shims on top of the drain housing is completely mad, I guess I'll have to investigate whether I need to move the camshaft bevel gear backwards, rather than the pinion downwards.

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950

coracle

United Kingdom
477 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2018 :  00:43:28  Show Profile
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi9PBZCgw-0

Correct meshing involves the variation by shimming and thrust washers of both gears. Moving the camshaft back in order to move the vertical drive pinion up is not a good move unless it is to correct poor meshing. I also had many shims under the vertical drive housing last time I carried out the meshing.

It can be quite a laborious process assembling and taking apart many times after testing with engineer's blue, but worth it in the end.

In summary; the shim and washer thicknesses need to be whatever they turn out to be to get the meshing correct with the minimum of backlash.
Go to Top of Page

john gott

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2018 :  09:09:41  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for the help received about my camshaft problem,sorry not to have replied sooner,but my wife is in hospital at the moment.
Regards to eveyone
John.
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  14:04:48  Show Profile
Update: the new housing, on which the Hyatt sleeve sits, is noticeably higher than the original. Furthermore I had two washers of unknown origin at the top, neither of which looked as though it was designed to be a thrust washer. Therefore I ordered two new washers from S&V and asked a local engineering firm (L&C Precision Engineering in Baldock) to reduce the height of the Hyatt sleeve by 60 thou. The result is that everything now fits together perfectly with only one shim underneath, and the top bevel gears mesh correctly.

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950

Edited by - kjrj on 19/07/2018 14:05:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2019 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000