Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Shipping Uk To USA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan F

USA
832 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2018 :  23:57:31  Show Profile
I am purchasing a transmission from the UK and the seller has advised that I should get an agent to package and ship it. The item is located between Liverpool and Manchester - forgive me for my lack of specific knowledge on UK geography !!!
Looks like the box will be around 60x50x50 Cm and weigh approximately 70 kg.
Any recommendations ??
As always, thanks
Dan

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2018 :  08:07:51  Show Profile
Dan

Since you are on the East coast and near to ports of arrival from Europe, shipping by sea would be the cheapest, more bureaucratic and slower method. Shipping by air is more expensive but also far quicker.

My advice, from carrying out regular shippings across the Atlantic, would be to contact a couple of shipping agents based either at a major airport (if time is important) or a port (if cost is more important) asking them to organise the movement and quote a price for door to door; we use Toll, but there are many others.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  09:12:07  Show Profile
I am surprised that only Ian has been kind enough to respond so far.

Many large components have been shipped from the UK to the US and vice versa over the years and there must be considerable experience of this.

Dan, have you asked for advice from firms like Sports & Vintage Motors or Andy King MG Spares who must surely have considerable experience of this kind of problem and the different options?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
832 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  12:11:48  Show Profile
Guys
I’m striking out on my end trying to get a company to pick up and ship this gearbox . I’ve googled and sent a lot of emails without any luck . Anyone have any other ideas ?
The box is near Chester so if anyone wants to make a little money please email me and we can sort out the details .
As always , thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  12:17:55  Show Profile
Dan

If searching for 'shipping agent' fails, try 'freight forwarder' and phone them they are poor on emails since it doesn't fit with the work pattern of instant reaction (for yes or no)!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  14:17:11  Show Profile
You don't always need a shipping company. I use www.ipostparcels.com aka ukmail for most of my parcels including seats.
Visit their website, punch in the weight, I just have some digital bathroom scales at my workshop, the 3 dimensions: length, width and depth and you get a quote not including insurance. If happy then you start an account, no minimum spend, they are outstanding in my opinion.

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  14:20:16  Show Profile
Only just seen that it's 70kg. It needs to go a pallet and be secured. A mate with a forklift will be best or cancel the sale and sell within the UK. There can be no end of problems with stuff like that. I had it with a sewing machine before and I point blank refuse to sell something of that weight and that could be easily damaged outside of the UK again.

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 10/07/2018 14:21:23
Go to Top of Page

mgva

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  14:37:50  Show Profile
Dan
Try Peace International Corp in Bensenville, IL 630-350-7660. They can arrange ocean or air. You are shipping antique car parts. Right? I also use DHL
Regards
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  02:44:37  Show Profile

Hi Dan.

I recall sending you an Auction website
for air freight from the UK to the states.
I can't find it now. I've used it with good success in the past. Air freight for a gearbox won't be overly expensive.

Shop around and get lots of quotes. There's a wide scale on quotes. Tip: Don't waste your time on sending it sea rate.

However:
This any good for you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+freight%2C+uk+to+usa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  14:48:01  Show Profile
Davies Turner is a shipper I've used before. Sent them big boxes and then they put them in a shipping container to Ohio, USA. See if your seller knows anyone who is also sending stuff from USA to UK.

Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
832 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  10:41:47  Show Profile
To everyone who replied - thanks !
Making slow progress but nevertheless, it’s progress !
Dan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000