Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 M type - Panel under Radiator
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cooperman

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  17:52:35  Show Profile
Not being familiar with Triple M cars I wonder if anyone could help with a little teaser. I have a panel, by Steve Gilbert, that goes under the radiator on my M type. Where it sits there are, on either side of the chassis two rivets holding the cross member in place (see picture). What is the usual method of enabling the plate to site flat? Are holes formed in the plate where the rivets are or should one form a dent in the plate.
One other thing, where the clips that hold the front valence in place, Steve has marked where this should be with two little circles (see picture), however my clips only need one hole, so should I place them in the outer hole, the inner hole or midway between them? Or doesn’t it matter at all, so long as they are symmetrical?

John Cooper M 628

g waiting

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  18:32:53  Show Profile
John,
Are the pairs of marks not where to drill for the radiator mounting bolts and thecatches at the other side where the notches are, or do I not understand.
The other question, I form a dent upwards with a small ball pein hammer to clear the rivet heads
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  19:19:26  Show Profile
Garry, where the nuts and bolts are is the fixing for the radiator, the other marks are for the front valence catches. The panel as the picture, is upside down, looking as it were from underneath and the top of the picture is the front of the panel. Hope that helps.
It would seem that I have to practice my panel beating "skills" then! Would a bit of heat help?

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 17/07/2018 19:20:02
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  19:36:43  Show Profile
Hi,
I just do them cold.
G.
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  19:45:49  Show Profile
Have a look at "Midget radiator and cowl" archived 2015 when I was asking a similar question. There's quite a lot of previous on this topic in the archives

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  21:25:41  Show Profile
Thank you Peter very helpful.
Also about the thin rubber strip under the panel, makes sense.
I was also thinking of putting a thin rubber strip under the body. I think I saw this when Ed China put a new chassis on a Morgan plus 4.

John Cooper M 628

Edited to add the word strip after rubber, just so our cousins in the colonies don't get the wrong idea.

Edited by - Cooperman on 17/07/2018 21:27:25
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1721 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2018 :  00:02:02  Show Profile
John, how helpful to tell us how you've edited your post. So often a thread is highlighted as being unread. Inspection reveals that I have read it but that the last post has been edited. I look in vain for a clue as to how!

Usually frustrated Dave
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
219 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  06:23:00  Show Profile
Where can I find - Midget radiator and cowl" archived 2015 - ?
Jørgen

MGM 1930 MGM 1931
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  09:31:16  Show Profile
Here:

www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8996&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Midget+Radiator+and+Cowl

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2018 :  14:30:31  Show Profile
Great thread, thanks - this area is causing me much head scratching. Has anyone got a picture of how the radiator is fitted to the chassis cross rail? I think mine has non-original spacers fitted. I may need to retain them in some form because if removed it will affect the fit of the bonnet... But useful to see whether my thoughts on this are right or wrong! :)
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2018 :  20:46:52  Show Profile
Well thanks for all the ideas etc. I have cracked it. I made a former for the indentations, using some odd bit of, I think, Maple which is quite hard. I made two indentations the correct distance apart, then with a piece of rod of suitable diameter I rounded off the end. Made a guide for the rod and placed the panel between the two its of wood, and clamped them together. Inserted the rod in one of the guide holes and pressed them in the vice, then the other hole and finally the other side. All as the pictures red oxided it and there it is in position with the rubber as suggested in the"Midget radiator and cowl" post elsewhere. job done many thanks.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2018 :  22:22:31  Show Profile
Hi,
Very nice John, pray tell how does one get to the front engine mounting ?
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2018 :  08:45:04  Show Profile
Why is it back to front?
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2018 :  08:51:35  Show Profile
What's this dimple thing? I'm sure they just lie flat on the chassis,then it kicks up at the side a bit then flat again on top of the rivets.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
859 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2018 :  08:55:10  Show Profile
The front bolt in the steering box should be a grease nipple.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2018 :  09:22:45  Show Profile
It's a long way from being finished yet, lots and lots to do. I am at a standstill whilst waiting to collect a flywheel at VSCC Prescott, so was looking for bits to do.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2019 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000