Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 "Superdry" jet seals
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2018 :  14:53:37  Show Profile
I have just ordered a pair of Superdry jet seal kits from Burlen for my MGA at the princely sum of around £30 each. These are intended to provide a more ethanol proof solution than the cork ones and unfortunately the seals won't fit in the existing set up, hence the need for a kit.

They have no immediate plans to make them for our carbs but it seems to me there must be a lot certainly of OM users out there, and if we were all to pester them......

Rileys also use OMs so perhaps I should mention it to my Riley friends!

Dave

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2018 :  18:34:46  Show Profile
Further comment. I've just done some homework and it appears that the OM & HV2 use the same jet bearing assembly, which is what this kit replaces, so I guess that means that most of us could benefit from pestering Burlen. If enough of us want it, hopefully they'll do it!

In fact HV1; HV2; HV3 up to 5 all use the same jet bearing assembly WZX 965 so that opens up Rileys, Frazer Nashes, Invictas and all sorts.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 14/11/2018 18:47:28
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  18:09:58  Show Profile
Given that we are led to believe that cork is one of the materials that is degraded by ethanol and that resulting leaks from the jet are a bad thing, I'm truly amazed that nearly 360 people have read my posts and so far none has passed comment. I can only think you are all too busy pestering Burlen to post your views here!

Perplexed of Sussex
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  19:56:03  Show Profile
Corks seem to stop the contents of bottles of wine and spirits leaking out for many years - certainly longer than most of us can resist attacking them with a corkscrew.

Cheers
Nigel H
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  21:01:38  Show Profile
Valid point Nigel. At least a comment! Thanks.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  21:02:10  Show Profile
Hello Dave,
Have I understood your posting correctly ? you seem to suggest that Burlen don't make Superdry jet seal kits for OM and HV2 carbs.

However page63 of Burlen's spare parts & specification catalogue says otherwise,I quote "We have now introduced an improved Superdry design for OM,HV & H type jet assemblies"
In fact several months ago I purchased two of these jet assemblies for my F types OM carbs, these fitted the existing carb bodies without any problem and are a direct replacement for the original jet assemblies, as they have not yet been in operation I can't comment how they perform.
Fuel leakage from the carbs on an F is certainly "a bad thing" as they are situated directly over the hot exhaust pipe so it seemed like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  21:17:50  Show Profile
Very interesting Mike. That is indeed what I meant and I had only yesterday ordered the set for my MGA on the phone and been told quite specifically, not only that they weren't available for OM or HV carbs, but also that they had no plans to introduce them in the near future.

I've just been back to the web site and searching for "jet bearing assemblies" throws up various ones together with a Superdry option for the H type which of course is what the MGA uses. Superdry is not mentioned for any other carb.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 15/11/2018 21:29:27
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  22:30:48  Show Profile
Dave, Is it possible that the jet assemblies for all three types ie, OM, HV & H are the same and hence the H type Superdry kit (ref WZX 1775) fits the other two types as well
When I bought mine back in May They were sold to me as suitable for OMs.

Here is part of the relevant page of the 2018 catalogue.

As you say "very interesting"
Cheers,
Mike

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  23:16:03  Show Profile
Impossible to dispute the printed word Mike however, as to their being the same, no. The original jet bearing kit for the H4 and I guess the other Hs is WZX 1593 while both the OM and HV1 through HV5 use WZX 965.

You wouldn't believe how many pre war cars use one of these so the market must be quite good and after all, the development has been done. All they have to is change the size slightly.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2018 :  23:21:28  Show Profile
Nigel, thinking further about wine, a wine cork is a solid piece of cork. The jet seals however, like a lot of cork seals used on cars, are tiny chips of cork bonded by some flexible glue for want of a better term. I guess it could be in fact this glue that is affected by the alcohol?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2018 :  08:51:15  Show Profile
Have you not heard of agglomerated wine corks made from compressed chips of cork and approved food contact glue?

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2018 :  12:01:19  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
I have spoken to Burlen this morning and was assured that the H type Superdry jet assembly available is suitable for both OM and HV2 carbs. As I said before they seem to fit my OMs perfectly. Why they have previously said "they have no immediate plans to make them for the OM & HV2 carbs, if the above is the case,Is a mystery to me!
I would be very interested in what develops from any "Pestering" that may occur. All very puzzling and curious, it seems dependant on who you speak to at Burlen.

Cheers,
Mike

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2018 :  12:22:44  Show Profile
As you say Mike, puzzling! I'll get onto them again next week quoting your catalogue page and see what story I get this time.

I tried getting up the page for the H type seals on the web and substituting first om for h in the link & then hv. In each case it said "Whoops! the page you are looking for doesn't exist". Or words to that effect.

No Gordon, I hadn't heard of the ground cork wine stoppers. I guess they must be cheaper; I was told by a Chianti grower last summer that she pays around €0.60 per cork (for Chianti they must by law use corks) and she's buying, I don't know, maybe 10,000 per year?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2018 :  15:14:18  Show Profile
Hi Mike, I've just been on the phone to Burlen again and the guy I spoke to this time was very happy to agree that the catalogue says OM HV & H but he said, it ain't true, so make of that what you will! He says someone has jumped the gun with that page. Again it seems as if the two(?) guys I spoke to are singing from one sheet, while yours is using another.

As I have complete rebuild kits for a pair of HV1s perhaps in a day or two I'll have a dimension check between them and my new Superdry kits.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2018 :  16:03:47  Show Profile
A little research following the previous post would suggest my contact is wrong.

I think the critical parts are the upper and lower jet bearings, the big nut holding the whole jet assembly into the carb body and possibly the two springs and the jet adjusting nut. According to Burlen, they do this kit for the H type carb. The original cork seal type components all have the same part number on H, OM and HV1 through to HV5. If you've got this far, I'm sure you would agree that there is no logical reason not to fit these kits to our carbs.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 21/11/2018 16:05:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000