Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MGCC d'Italia Tour of Croatia, Bosnia & Montenegro
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  12:14:29  Show Profile
Our good friends in the M.G. Car Club d'Italia are organising an ambitious touring event which runs from 21 June to 30 June, 2019.

The tour starts at Ancona for a ferry to Split, (possibility of starting at Split). Outline itinerary: Trogir - Podgora - various boat excursions including to Korkula - Mostar - Dubrovnik - Ston - Igalo - Kotor - Neum - Split - Ancona

(The visits to Trogir, Dubrovnik and Kotor will be by boat, considering that these areas have a lot of traffic and traffic jams and a lack of space to park our cars.)

Entries are now open and will close on 30th March 2019.

Details are available from Triple-M owner and organiser Piero Fusaroli at info@fusaroli.com

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:37:13  Show Profile
There is a quite splendid article in the March 1935 issue of The MaGazine on touring this part of the world in an M.G. and it can be found in the Documents online section - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/MG_magazine/MG%20Magazine/MG%20Magazine%20March%201935.pdf

I'm not sure that either the Mrs J or I are up to such an ambitious trip but having spent quite a bit of time in that part of the world I can heartily recommend both the scenery and the food.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  17:42:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

There is a quite splendid article in the March 1935 issue of The MaGazine on touring this part of the world in an M.G. and it can be found in the Documents online section - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/MG_magazine/MG%20Magazine/MG%20Magazine%20March%201935.pdf

I'm not sure that either the Mrs J or I are up to such an ambitious trip but having spent quite a bit of time in that part of the world I can heartily recommend both the scenery and the food.

Simon J
J3437

That's fantastic Simon, thanks for sharing that with us

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  02:13:08  Show Profile
Simon - thank you,

I enjoyed the article - though I did need to look up what he meant by ‘ his wife’s keen sense of olfactory’. Smell apparently!

Next May we too hope to follow in the tracks of Sir Windham Anstruther in our recently acquired L1.
It’s an organised Pre-War run - some 2200 kms over 10 days. Starting in Cividale del Friuli in N Italy, the route takes us through Slovenia, then along the Croatian coast to Split. Inland to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Mostar. Mountains of Montenegro and Albania thence to the newly named Repubilc of North Macedonia. The rally finishes at Lake Kastoria in N Greece. From there we find our own way to Igoumenitsa for the 24 hour ferry crossing to Ancona. A final 150 kms to an airport hotel near Bologna has us flying back, and where ( I hope) a dusty 1933 L1 will be loaded onto a truck bound for Blighty.
Having acquired a fully serviceable vehicle she is now in a state of disrepair - though in very capable hands having a blower fitted. She may need it as she’s very much the baby of the pack. Her pre-war running mates most beginning with RR and B are running on 4 litres plus. Here’s hoping she will keep her head held high in such esteeemed company. I’ll let you know how we get on.

Is Sir Windham’s MG still with us?

Tim Luffingham

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 10/12/2018 02:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  02:35:08  Show Profile
While it is a beautiful part of the world, I would caution that in June/July the temperatures can be extremely high and touring in an open car in such circumstances could be challenging, to say the least. A few years ago we toured as far south as Dubrovnik before heading inland via Mostar to Belgrade in our convertible Volvo and most days by mid-morning we had to put the hood up and turn on the air con. The attached shows the temperature as we left Mostar - 'nuff said!

Tim,

I too loved the image conjured up by the description of the Albanian bus ride. Priceless!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  11:02:48  Show Profile
congratulations on the L1 Tim. that sounds like an amazing trip :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000