Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 - Lost at sea
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2019 :  20:13:57  Show Profile
Very sad. This an article from Classic Car Weekly.

colintf

United Kingdom
1482 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2019 :  20:54:06  Show Profile
That's really sad. I drove that car before I bought my D Type :(

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2019 :  10:21:30  Show Profile
What a shame, this car was being offered for sale by Thornfalcon Classics near Taunton in 2015/16 and I saw it several times then in these parts before the new owner drove it home to the Surrey/Sussex area. I don't think he kept it long in fact. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2019 :  13:53:08  Show Profile
This is J2013 the 13th car off the production line, Triple-M Register number 754 which indicates the car has been known to the Register since the mid 1960s. The comment in the Register notes only 4 owners from new.

How sad the car is lost.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2019 :  09:28:10  Show Profile
Sad news, but there are three earlier J2's known to the register, and should you fancy buying a J2, there are nearly 1000 remaining in various states. Even if each is sold only every 40 years, a new one will come on the market every two weeks.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2019 :  19:34:49  Show Profile
This was my car that I sold to a dealer....

I had the car for a year and a half and loved driving it. I spend around £6000 getting the car properly sorted - sourcing an original steering wheel - finding the correct OM carbs....even finding an original 1930's driving light to train on the kerb....

Once it was correctly set up it ran beautifully. I found everyone on this forum fantastically helpful including Simon Johnstone who was an amazing source of information...

I even had one chap send me a small part from Australia because it was an original part.

I am fantastically envious of all the people I have read about who have managed to hang on to their cars. I had a 25K credit card debt so I had to sell the car.

and now it is currently parked up on the sea bed off the Bay of Biscay.....

Thanks Tom
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1954 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2019 :  19:45:36  Show Profile
Hello, Tom.

Sorry to read your story.

I hope you will be able to obtain another MG sometime in the future.

I know how you feel because it has taken me many years of endeavour and heartache to get where I am today, struggling to build various MGs with many, many setbacks.Sheer determination and enthusiasm will win through in the end.

( There are probably many on this Forum with similar experiences !)

Best wishes,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2019 :  20:24:46  Show Profile
Thanks Chris....

I actually used this car as my main car....most days including trips to Waitrose with my 7 year old son sitting next to me reading a comic.

I bought it as it was an original car with the original engine and a history. I drove it back from Taunton a week before christmas in driving rain. It took ten hours and I was catatonic when I got home. Sitting in front of the fire with a bowl of pasta unable to speak because I was so tired.

But it was the most amazing drive....with the rain lashing down and trying to see in the dark with minimal illumination....no halogen lights here...!

It took about 6 months to source the correct parts.....I found a lot of the parts through this forum. Including an original distributor.

The only thing left to do was to respray the car in an old paint as it was originally painted in a new style paint and it looked wrong.

However a gnawing credit card debt made me sell.

I always feel that with old cars that you are just the mere custodian so I felt I had handed it on in much better condition than when I had bought it.

So it was a total shock when Simon Johnstone emailed me the article above....
Go to Top of Page

IanG

Australia
72 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2019 :  10:33:14  Show Profile
There was also several Porsche on board destined for their new owners including the last of the production run of GT 2 RS. Here in Australia with a price tag of around $800k plus on road.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000