Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG J2 Newbie - Gearbox oil level question
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brit_Stuff

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  02:16:31  Show Profile
Hello All:

I recently purchased a 1932 MG J2, (well actually it's a J1 chassis, fitted with a J2 body). I'm quite familiar with Abingdon products from the 50's and 60's, but this is my first foray into the world of pre-war MMM.

Right now I am familiarizing myself with all those little things that keep an MG happy. I'm wondering if it is O.K. to post the odd technical question on this forum?

Assuming it is, my first question is as follows... apologies ahead of time if it is old news.

The J2 manual states that it is not a good idea to overfill the gearbox and thus avoid fouling the clutch with oil. However, it does not state what the level should be..... I see the fill receptacle on the passenger side of the gearbox. When I look inside my current oil level is about an inch below the overflow level.

My gearbox is a bit of a leaker at the moment, so I am trying to work out if the gearbox reservoir has been overfilled, or if I need to plan to pull the gearbox and replace a gasket or two.

Many Thanks,

James

Brit_Stuff

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  02:26:16  Show Profile
Opps, mistake number 1.... Looks like I should have posted this to the technical information forum.

Sorry, I will do so now.

Many Thanks,

James
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  02:44:51  Show Profile
James, the usual gearbox recommended level is up to the bottom of the threads on the filler.

Also, see my private email regarding the NAMMMR.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  09:07:26  Show Profile
Hello James - well done on purchasing the J1 and welcome to the Forum.

Our Registrar for the J1s is Ted Hack who would be very pleased to hear from you and to receive details of your car. His contact details are on this web site.

George
Registrar F/L/N types
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  12:32:22  Show Profile
If you wish to reply, please respond to the same question on the Technical forum. I will lock this topic here.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000