Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 P-type parts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2019 :  12:11:57  Show Profile
I'm in need of a few P-type engine parts:

Front oil drain pipe (circled in the photo below):

Distributor clamp (1) and spacer (2) shown in the photo below (I hope coracle is OK with me using his photo but it's the best way to illustrate what I'm looking for):

Alternatively, as I think it would be quite straightforward to make these two parts, could anyone provide the thickness of the metal used in each component?

Thank you,

Brian

coracle

United Kingdom
1885 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2019 :  13:57:33  Show Profile
Use of Photo; fine, I occasionally do the same myself.

The oil pipe; one was on E-bay a short while ago and I don't think it sold: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Pa-and-Pb-Engine-Pipework-May-be-MG-Na-and-Nb/352711774117

I bought a couple of other pipes from this seller before then but did not need this one. I am very happy with them.

Re the adjuster: It is 1/8", see photos for detail and sorry I will need this one.

P.S. You could use the simpler clamp arrangement as on earlier engines as an alternative:

Edited by - coracle on 24/07/2019 14:06:46
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2019 :  15:53:39  Show Profile
Thank you, Nigel - I'll try and track down the pipe.

On the clamp, I thought it was the earlier type in your photo but with a spacer underneath. If both layers are 1/8" thick that would make sense as the assembly from distributor to pump measures 7" and the space I have measures 6 3/4" without the clamp. No spacer in your last photo: I wonder if there were two different heights of adapter?

Brian
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1885 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2019 :  11:38:38  Show Profile
If I were an engineer at MG in the 30's and wished to accommodate the 1/8" additional thickness required by the distributor adjuster, I would not change the cast and machined adaptor, but would have increased the height/length of the distributor drive dog to increase the space available by the necessary 1/8" I am confident that this would be a simpler and less costly change.

I have no idea if this is the case; just what I would do. Can anybody confirm what was actually the case?

Edited by - coracle on 25/07/2019 11:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2019 :  19:20:10  Show Profile
Nigel, I wouldn't disagree. The Parts List doesn't suggest that there were two different adapter depths so I now don't think that's the answer.

I got everything cleaned up today and bolted in position - although without gaskets - and the gap measures a little over 13/64". I'm thinking a straightforward solution would be to make up the difference with a slightly thicker clamp - unless anyone can tell me that I'm overlooking something?

Brian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000