Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Beer fan hits the right note for Old Speckled Hen
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  18:39:37  Show Profile

Please note I like the Beer but I have no connection with the company but I have seen this press release for "OUR BEER"

Old Speckled Hen fan and musician Jonathan Vincent has created his very own bottle and pint orchestra to celebrate the 30th anniversary of his favourite beer. He's performed his own special version of Beethoven's Ode to Joy and here's a link to his unique performance which you can download from our FTP site: http://www.consolidatedpr.com/client-files/playing_the_pint_v05.wmv

Press release also below

Beer fan hits the right note for Old Speckled Hen

- Old Speckled Hen buff creates musical masterpiece on pints and bottles in tribute to his favourite brew –

Old Speckled Hen devotee and professional musician Jonathan Vincent has brought together his two loves, beer and music, in a very special way. He has meticulously created an orchestra from bottles and pint glasses in tribute to his favourite brew and produced a fascinating version of Beethoven’s Ode to Joy.

After creating a unique ‘instrument’ in his shed from bottles and glasses, Jonathan fine-tuned his performance and sent his amateur footage to Greene King. The brewers of Old Speckled Hen liked it so much that they offered to film the recital professionally.

Dubbed ‘Ode to Hen’ by the beer enthusiast, the professional performance is delivered in a pub by a tuxedo clad Jonathan and musician pal Graham Mann on 36 bottles and 24 pints of cask beer with various amounts of the ale in each designed to create a pitch perfect sound.

The footage of Jonathan in his shed and the professional pub performance can be found on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE2dE8X2oac

Jonathan Vincent says: “Old Speckled Hen is my favourite ale and I wanted to provide a fitting homage to its special qualities. As a musician, I obviously felt the best way to do this was through music, so I constructed an instrument using “Old Speckled Hen” bottles and pint glasses. I came up with the idea after blowing into bottles and found that they made an amazing sound. A twist on the original classical piece was born.

He continues: “It’s fairly straightforward to get a note out of a bottle or pint glass, but quite a challenge to create a fully playable musical instrument. The varying amounts of liquid in each glass and bottle had to be at the correct level. Needless to say there was a lot of drinking research undertaken to get it right!

“I was really pleased with the results – so decided to send it to Greene King and was absolutely thrilled when they invited me to film the piece professionally. The arrangement takes some liberties with Beethoven’s theme too, but I think this gives it my own special take. The creation and tuning of the ‘instrument’ was particularly enjoyable, mainly because it involved drinking the excess beer with friends!”

Old Speckled Hen brewer John Bexon says: “It’s great to see Old Speckled Hen has inspired such creativity and devotion in one of its fans, and Jonathan’s musical ‘Ode to Hen’ is a really fitting tribute to a true English institution. What a fantastic performance!”

Jonathan Vincent is a media composer and classically trained percussionist and pianist. He also lectures in music and audio at the University of Kent.

Notes to editors:

About Old Speckled Hen:

Old Speckled Hen is an iconic brand and in its 30th year is officially the UK’s number premium ale, gaining more followers each year.

Old Speckled Hen was originally brewed in 1979 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the MG Car Factory in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Named after an old MG car which was used as the factory run around, they would park the old MG Featherweight Fabric Saloon outside the paint shop where it would normally get spattered in paint and so it became known as the ‘Owld Speckl’d Un’. This turned into "Old Speckled Hen" when the beer was unveiled.

Old Speckled Hen’s “Seek out Something Different” campaign is currently starring on Dave, the home of witty banter, as sponsor of PrimeTime. The idents feature an inquisitive fox looking to ‘seek out something different’ as he searches for the elusive “Hen.”

Old Speckled Hen is available as cask beer in good cask beer pubs and in bottles and cans in retailers nationwide.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000