Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 'Perfecta' badge on J2 Windscreen Frames
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John M

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  21:45:16  Show Profile
There is a small, round "Perfecta" badge being sold for the J,F,& L windscreen frames.

1) Were these badges used on the J2?
2) I assume they were mounted on the inside of the frame in the bottom center of the frame?
3) The badge is supplied in unfinished brass. Is this the correct finish or were they plated?
4) Was the lettering filled in with paint?

Many Thanks!

John M.

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  23:01:33  Show Profile
John,

Although I do not have a J2, a friend has a very original one which is currently under full restoration. The badge sits on the outside of the frame bottom centered and is secured with a small brass rivet. The badge itself showed traces of a flashcoat of some form of plating, assuming chrome, and I stand corrected, I doubt the lettering would have had any paint infill.

I am sure there are others that will chime in here either concurring, or possibly offering alternate answers for you.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  13:56:31  Show Profile
John,

I disagree with Peter. I believe the badge is on the inside.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:35:54  Show Profile
Lew, very possible, his bottom rail could have been turned around at some point in it's long life.......the car was painted pink back in the '60's, so anything's possible!

Makes better sense on the inside, and would be consistent with all MG windscreen badging that followed after the MMM cars.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 08/06/2010 08:12:32
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  13:01:22  Show Profile
I have recently acquired a J2 screen which appears to be fairly original.It has no badge,but in the middle of the bottom rail on the inside is a small hole which presumably was for the badge rivet.

David R (J 3355)
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  21:08:56  Show Profile
John M, another opinion, just reading through G Howell's J2 restoration books today, he says the badge is centered facing the front of the car i.e. on the outside of the frame, also paging through the pages in his books there are a few photo's supporting this....don't shoot the messenger!

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  16:53:40  Show Profile
Just on a point of consistency, my P, N and L Continental Coupe all have their badges to the inside of the car. …regards…Terry
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  17:41:55  Show Profile
Without arguing the point (as I was not involved with making the windscreens), I have just had a browse through the photos in Richard Monk's book, The MG Collection, The Pre-War Models, and can find no car which shows a forward facing windscreen badge, including the J2.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  20:08:38  Show Profile
Lew, I have browsed through every pre war MG book I have and concur that in all likelihood, and all based on factory pics & not restored examples that they were on the inside as certainly non were visible on the outside.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  21:35:37  Show Profile
I have just reglazed a J2 screen, and the small round brass plate
held on by a single rivet was on the outside, I ckecked this with
the owner and from old photos they are on the outside, with a screen
print for the maker.
No doubt many are on the inside from previous reglazing and assembly.
cheers, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  11:27:21  Show Profile
I cannot comment upon the J2...... but I have 3 original P type screens 2 of which are very original and they are to the inside. 2 original N type ones to the inside. Plus the L1 is totally original and un-restored also on the inside. .... Regards Terry
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1626 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  18:32:53  Show Profile
I have to agree with Terry A. I have never seen the badge on the outside of an ORIGINAL J windscreen - it is always on the inside. However it is possible to reverse the fit of the bottom rail on a J screen. These screens did have a reputation for breaking their glass particularly the early type J screen so some may well have been re-assembled incorrectly even from their early days.

TH
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:10:14  Show Profile
two more J Types have it on the outside... mine, J3485 and Richard ?'s J3141... actually i just have the hole...

My windscreen had been damaged and repaired ar some stage so possibly had the bottom rail reversed...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:48:11  Show Profile
Two L2's owned - one in '64, one '69 to date. Front screen same as J2/F2. Both cars had "Perfecta" badge on the OUTSIDE. Other L2's worked on have badge on the OUTSIDE. Sorry.

Steve.
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  23:36:25  Show Profile
Hello,
My PA has its "Percy Lane" windscreen nameplate on the outside of the screen, while my pre-war Hillman minx has its "Perfecta" nameplate on the inside so maybe the postion is dependant on which manufacturer supplied the screen.
Colin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000