Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Weather Equipment
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

grahamwi

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  15:37:08  Show Profile
I'm just completing a total rebuild of a PA which I bought in a number of tea chests and without any weather equipment. I am now at the point where I need to consider the hood and side screens but have virtually no information on their design and attachment to the car.

Since I have never seen a P type with the hood erected (nor any other MMM for that matter!) I have had no opportunity to examine one and would be most grateful for any information, particularly on the side screens, drawings, photos or even the loan of a side screen as a template.

Many thanks,

grahamwi

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  16:42:40  Show Profile
Hello Graham,
Please could you advise if your PA is a 2 or 4 seater, the latter as you know are scarcer with 495 sales, the former 1385.
I do not own one, but there are a number of sources for information available, including photographs.
Knowing which it is will narrow the search for all able to assist you.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  19:04:17  Show Profile
Hi Graham

Have you tried the very informative web site www.mgmmm.com where there is quite a bit of info on hoods.

Sports and Vintage Motors sell new hood frames for our cars. I purchased one of these and used it to set the position of the hood on my L2 including ensuring I could sit in the car with the hood up!

This subject was covered in some detail on this forum - you can search the Archives.

Regards George

Edited by - George Eagle on 19/11/2010 19:06:30
Go to Top of Page

grahamwi

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2010 :  23:27:12  Show Profile
Hello Sean/George,

Thank you both for your rapid response to my request. My car is a two seater and before I went to print I did look at the mgmmm site and also searched the Register archive. However, following your response I have looked again at the former and found some extremely useful drawings of both the hood and the sidescreens even though much of the information is in Dutch. There are also many other articles which I wish I had known about earlier!
When searching the Register archive, I did find some photos of a sidescreen without dimensions which will now be very useful in combination with the aforementioned drawings but if you can point me towards any more details it can only be helpful.

Best regards,

Graham
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  09:13:50  Show Profile
Graham

Regarding sidescreen dimensions, would it help if I were to send you a paper pattern? Do bear in mind though that no two cars are the same, so this should only be regarded as a guide!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  16:21:06  Show Profile

Hi,

Please see the photos below of a P type which had what I believed to have an original hood and sidescreens. Note that the near side sidescreen does not have a bar. The off side sidescreen does have a bar with a covered flap to allow the driver to give hand signals. I hope these are of use to those rebuilding P types…..Terry
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1031 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  16:50:40  Show Profile
Graham
If you need anny help in translation of Dutch just ask, it should not be a problem.

Onno (dutch) Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
440 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  21:52:48  Show Profile
Graham, I have a new hood & sidescreen on my PA. I have never used
them, I cant stand them up etc, but you are more than welcome to
borrow them as a pattern.
good luck Nick, on 01202 824048 Dorset.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  14:18:20  Show Profile
I am in Staffordshire if you want to measure.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

grahamwi

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  18:02:56  Show Profile
Thank you all very much for your responses to my query. I hope you won't mind if I send a collective reply:

Dick, I believe I have enough information, but should that not prove to be the case I will contact you for the pattern you kindly offered.

Terry, Many thanks for the photographs, they will be extremely useful to the trimmer, together with the dimensions I have now obtained.

Onno, I think the drawings on the Dutch web site should be self explanatory but I will bear in mind your generous offer.

Nick, Thank you for your very generous offer. I have located a hood and tonneau which have lain in a garage for fifty years and I believe they are both from a P type. However, the rear window of the hood is a different shape to that shown in Terry's photos above and it would be useful to know what shape yours is to arrive at some form of consensus. Could you post a photograph?

Bob, I think I now have the dimensions, but I'm most grateful for your kind offer.

Again, thank you all for your help; I'm amazed at the generosity of MG enthusiasts.

Best regards,

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
440 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  20:10:42  Show Profile
Graham, glad you ahve sorted out the hood etc.
I would sugest an oval back window as this looks more period
than a sq unit. I had a sq window in my L type hood years ago
and it never looked any good.
Good luck Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  10:10:46  Show Profile
My PA, which I bought in 1960 and it still lives with me, has an oval rear window in the hood. As Nick says it looks right viewed from outside looking in, but it was bxxxx awful from inside looking out !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1552 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  14:01:09  Show Profile
I offer the following 'builds' to comments about the size and position of the hood rear 'window' and the 'field of view' from the interior rear view mirror.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

grahamwi

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  16:56:44  Show Profile
All,

Thank you for your continued interest in my query; your comments are both noted and appreciated.

Best regards,

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  23:11:59  Show Profile
In the mid '60s I had a hood made for my 2 seater P Type by a local coach trimmer in Perth (the Scottish one). He didn't need the car as he had patterns & produced a hood in one piece, i.e. it wrapped right round from the trailing edge of one side-screen to the trailing edge of the other, without the triangular in-fill pieces shown in Terry's pics & other places. It also had a fairly small rectangular window.

He'd obviously been in business for a long time & I wonder if anyone else has/had a similar hood? Could it be that there were two different designs used by the factory?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:30:20  Show Profile
Dave,
I had a hood made for my PA by mail order from Don Trimming in Birmingham in 1989, from a pattern they held. It was and still is a good fit (it's hardly used), but is much as you describe yours. For many years I thought this was correct, until I started mixing with the MMMs from south of the border. It doesn't bother me one way or the other, and is probably quicker to put up than the one with the extra clip-on panels.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000