Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mike Hawke
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  14:28:41  Show Profile
This is tragic news. Mike's contribution to the MMM community is unlikely to be replicated. His knowledge and expertise, especially on his favorite subject the J series was immense.

My sincere condolences to Ann, Jeremy and Marcus.

Mike Dowley
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  15:15:19  Show Profile
So very sorry to hear the sad news. I endorse everything that others have said about Mike. He was a dedicated Triple-M member & will be missed by all. Barbara & I send our condolences to Ann & all Mike's family. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1626 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  15:49:32  Show Profile
Jeremy I am so very sad to hear this news and send you, your mother and the rest of the family my sincerest condolences.
Like many others I have known Mike for many years and have always had the greatest admiration for him. I have a wonderful photo on my wall taken at Silverstone back in the early seventies of Mike in J2396 overtaking me in my J2 at Woodcote. He is in one of his incredible four wheel drifts hanging out of the car with one hand on the wheel and the other on the drivers door. I have a look of surprise and puzzlement on my face thinking how on earth does he do that ! After the race I asked him how he managed to drift the car so accurately. Skinny tyres, dont use the brakes just the power was his answer. I never managed it quite like him !A wonderful man who will be sorely missed.

TH

Edited by - tholden on 26/11/2010 15:54:02
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  16:44:04  Show Profile
Mike was a person and enthusiast i never had the pleasure to meet.
This is to my great loss, as indeed it is to everyone in the triple-m family of which he was undoubtedly the doyen.
Sean
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  17:21:59  Show Profile
Again, on behalf of the NAMMMR, I pass on our deepest condolences. I shall always treasure the short time I had with Mike for dinner at the Silverstone BARC in 2002.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  18:23:43  Show Profile
A sad day indeed. I echo the sentiments expressed.

I last saw Mike in September when we were on the Walking Trial in Derbyshire organised by Bryan Ditchman, exploring the pre-war trials hills. Happy days to remember.

Katie and I send our sympathies and good wishes to Ann and all the family

John Reid
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  19:13:50  Show Profile
Such dreadful news! Mike was certainly one we weren't ready to have to say goodbye to as we only met him about 6 or 7 years ago! He has been a huge inspiration to us from the start, both in how one should be using old M.G.s and in researching their history as well as in getting involved with the Register and the club as in how one would like to be treated when new, so very generous with his time, knowledge and his ever ready smile.

We extend our deepest sympathies to Ann, Jeremy and the rest of the family. We shall miss him sorely!

Thijs and Cathelijne

Edited by - Cathelijne on 26/11/2010 22:38:42
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  20:30:31  Show Profile
Truly very sad news; I can only echo what has been already said - Mike was always generous with his help and positive with his support, as well as being a thoroughly nice bloke - a great loss to us all. Sincere condolences to Ann, Jeremy and Marcus.

Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 26/11/2010 20:31:44
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  21:03:28  Show Profile
Condolences’ to Ann and family from Jill and I in New Zealand.

We met Mike and Ann on their first trip to NZ and I still vividly remember his distinctive posture as he backed into a flag lined box in a borrowed J2 at a Gymkhana.

Mike’s legacy to MMM in part will be his excellent books and written articles, where with others the knowledge is still in our minds.

Rod Brayshaw NZ
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  21:45:20  Show Profile
Sue and I send our sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Ann and her family at this very sad time. Mike did so much for the MMM MG movement, culminating in his two most recent books for which any J2 owner will be enternally grateful.
Sue and I were so lucky to have been laughing and chatting with him just 12 days ago as we passed time together at the NEC Classic Car Show, and Sue will never forget the laughs she and Mike were having discussing the the smallness of the bubble cars just behind us, but small as they were, they just didn't have Mr. Kimber's flair!
You will be sorely missed Mike.

Barry & Sue Walker.
Go to Top of Page

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  02:06:27  Show Profile
This is sad news indeed. Rachel and I send our condolences to Ann and the family.

When I bought my first MG 50 years ago, Mike and Steve Dear were my mentors and I had pleasure serving with them on the SW Centre Committee at the time when enthusiasm for the pre-55 cars was kindled as the Registers. But I only had a T-type back then so I did not learn the intricacies of a J2 from Mike; I just got infected by his enthusiasm.

Peter Ross,
Bolton, Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

Peter Down

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2010 :  11:10:14  Show Profile
We have only just heard the sad news and send our sincere condolences to Ann and the family.
Peter and Marian.

Edited by - Peter Down on 29/11/2010 11:11:59
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  19:40:00  Show Profile
I have only just found the sad news about Mike, not having had the time to visit the website for a while. I have a fond memory of Mike and Ann standing in the rain at the garage near Beggars Roost, turning the M-types round and after an interval, sending each one off to attempt the another climb. He was a lovely man and will be missed by many.

Condolances from Thelma and myself to Ann and the family

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  21:36:42  Show Profile
All,
Many thanks for all your kind thoughts & messages that have been coming through, they are very much appreciated by Mum, Marcus & myself.
Whilst to Marcus & me he was just "Dad", it is nice to know that he left such a deep & lasting impression on so may people. There will be a memorial service for Dad on Wed 19th Jan at 12:00 in the Holy Trinity church, Bradford-on-Avon (BA15 1LN for those of you with sat-navs in their MMM cars!)and with ample time afterwards to reminisce afterwards. There is car parking (short stay, 2hrs with free ticket) at St Margarets Car Park (BA15 1DE), or longer at the station Car Park - pay & display (BA15 1DF). J2396 went out for a run today, complete with muck left on from the recent SW Centre Kimber Trial, she sang.....

JH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000