Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Locate members | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Which Knock-off for PA 0921?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
114 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  03:22:35  Show Profile
As a result of a visit to our local plating shop, it is becoming evident, that replacing all 4 knock-off spinners with new ones, will be less costly than re-plating the existing ones. But which one?

It seems that there are at least 3 ‘flavours’. The Rudge-Whitworth’, the plain old single MG crest, such as used on T-Types and then, there’s mine - the ‘Dunlop” variety - see below pic.

It would be of interest to me to learn on which models, each variety came. If I’m going to buy all new, I want to get the right ones.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

JMH

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  12:29:03  Show Profile
Gordon,
Whilst I stand to be corrected, I thought that all MMMs should have Rudge-Whitworth.
JH
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  12:52:05  Show Profile
I thought they should be stamped with the Rudge Whitworth crest?

Not all MMM cars have knock off wheels though - the dear old M type has bolt on wheels.

I dont think that the DUNLOP ones are original fitment - but then again if they are replaced with modern copies they wont be original either?? ;)

I like Jeremy am willing to stand corrected but I think that the original fitment were either blank or Rudge.

Yours with a grin David

Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  14:21:36  Show Profile
I vote for Rudge Whitworth. J3017 has steel Rudge Whitworth crested knock-offs for the last 50 years. I will check into re-chroming costs. However new Rudge Whitworth knock-off nuts are not horribly expensive.
I think the Dunlop ones are probably for a non-MG.
Bob Canada
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
366 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  18:13:16  Show Profile
Before deciding to buy new spinners, because of the high costs for re-chroming, I think it is worth to consider, that the new ones are made of brass or bronce, and have not such a strong thread as the old steel spinners, and are much easier damaged by using a hammer.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
114 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  05:49:04  Show Profile
Well, mine are definitely steel (used a magnet to check).

The chorme has come off the k/o in the picture; otherwise the remaining 3 are in quire good shape. In view of Gerhard's comment re brass, I think I'll stick with my Dunlop k/os and get them plated (but then again, plating introduces hydrogen brittleness!)

Gord Clark
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  11:34:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gordclark

Well, mine are definitely steel (used a magnet to check).

The chrome has come off the k/o in the picture; otherwise the remaining 3 are in quire good shape. In view of Gerhard's comment re brass, I think I'll stick with my Dunlop k/os and get them plated (but then again, plating introduces hydrogen brittleness!)

Gord Clark

Gord,
For chrome plating steel, after stripping off the old chrome and polishing, its good practice to copper plate first (then re-polish) before proceeding to nickel and finally chrome plate.
The k/o spinners are that substantial that hydrogen embrittlement through the plating process ought not to be an issue.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  17:33:45  Show Profile
I am pretty sure that the early cars -D,J,F,L,K and PA/NA all had the Rudge Whitworth knock-offs. (M Types had there own Aluminium 'M.G. badged wheel cap). I believer the PB and NB had the M.G. Motif on the spinners. Modern sprinners are made in Aluminium Bronze which is very strong and chrome plates very well and of course will not rust. As Gerhard says they do not like being hit with the copper end of a copper/hide hammer however.

Edited by - saltandvinegar on 25/02/2012 17:34:44
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
822 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  20:06:46  Show Profile
Don't we all use those nice plywood 'spanners' rather than a grit-infested copper hammer?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2014 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000