Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Q Type pressure gauge
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paul55

Luxembourg
555 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2013 :  07:53:13  Show Profile
Does anyone know if the 10psi oil pressure gauge usually situated on the extreme right side of a Q dash was for the cylinder head oil pressure, or the Zoller supercharger oil pressure? Know one seems to know for certain, split 50%/50%. As far as I understand the guage was only used on the Zoller as it had it's own oil pump and pressure system, if a different supercharger was installed, then they usually ran on a constant loss system from the engine sump, therefore the 10psi gauge was not required and was then used to monitor the head pressure.
Thanks
Paul.

Chris Bucknell

Australia
100 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  10:48:39  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

OK I don't know for sure but here is my thinking based on what I know about Q's and owning an R.

I think it is blower oil pressure. Unless I miss my guess, there was not other MMM car fitted with a pressure gauge on the head feed and I don't know of any car that does. That includes R which was the subsequent car to the Q, although there was a divergence somewhat. Maybe someone else can add to this point.

Zoller's must maintain oil pressure or it is all over red rover. If you are loosing oil pressure to the head then pretty soon that is going to show up in the engine oil gauge I would imagine. The Q-type Zoller setup I believe had a different oil pump to the blower, than the R-type. I read something about that recently I just can't remember where or the reason why but it was a problem. Certainly the photos of the Q Type oil pump (for blower) and the R-Type oil pump for blower are very different. I am guessing the oil pressure gauge was there because of the problem with the pumps on the Q Zoller setup.

The Q being rebuilt in Australia at moment has the gauge and they are using for oil feed to blower.

Anyone else got a good argument?

Regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
555 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  11:06:42  Show Profile
Thanks Chris, do you happen to know where the oil feed to the blower is taken from?
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  11:19:04  Show Profile
Although there may not have been an MG with a cyl. head oil pressure gauge as original equipment, I can report that a PB engined J2 I owned over 50 years ago had such a gauge. It was not an original fitting but must have been fitted at some time prior to the 1960's as it was on the car when I bought it.

Indeed the whole dasboard was special, including a row of about 10 switches for lighting, fuel pumps etc. mounted on a hinged-down panel containing a fuse for each of the circhuits controlled by the switches. Was this similar to C Types?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  11:24:58  Show Profile
Paul,

I have just come across an article which appeared in "The M.G.Magazine" in September 1934 at the time when the Q Type first appeared. The writer describes the facia as follows "The facia is well equipped with extra large radiator and oil thermometers, engine oil pressure gauge and supercharger gauges,a 5 in. diameter revolution counter, a small pressure gauge for the compressor supply and an ammeter".

Hope this helps.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
184 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  11:43:51  Show Profile
My P type low pressure Zoller had a Tee Joint in the supply from the head to the pump when I found it in 1963. The gauge was not original and I think it was from an Austin 7.
I have drawings of the Zoller pump which was made I think by Benton and Stone to McEvoy Pomeroy patents.
Interesting to hear that there are different pumps. Pomeroy told me that the Pilgrim type pump used on motorcycles and other compressors was not accurate enough over the rev range of the Zoller hence they designed thier own pump. Max revs were (not to exceed 4800) hence the 0.7 reduction gearbox on the Q and R.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
555 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  11:48:23  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, it does seem that the gauge on the extreme right of the dash was for the supercharger pressure, I just need to find out now where the supercharger oil supply was fed from. But does anyone know if the supercharger had its own oil pump to lubricate it, or did it rely on the engine oil pressure with some kind of regulator / pressure reducer?
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
184 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  12:44:33  Show Profile
The supply was from the low pressure port on the head. You will find this on the RH side opposite the metering pin.
The cam gear runs at about 10 PSI hence the range of the gauge.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
555 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  13:04:23  Show Profile
I have just checked with Tom Dark who is making my Zoller. The oil feed was taken from the 10 psi oil supply for the head, then fed the Zoller oil pump. According to Tom the Zoller pump needed a 10 psi pre pressure feed to make it work correctly. The gauge is connected between the head 10 psi take off point and the Zoller.
Thanks to everyone who advised, I should have phoned Tom to start with, but I could not reach him for the last few days.
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
2599 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  14:47:36  Show Profile
Paul, You are fortunate to have caught up with Tom - he is a busy chap and not easily accessible!

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Chris Bucknell

Australia
100 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  05:40:07  Show Profile
Found where I read about the change in pump.

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/26th-october-1934/44/improvements-in-the-zoller-supercharger

Regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2019 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000