Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Back plate / Steering arm mounting bolts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  19:44:30  Show Profile
I'm sure that I read somewhere a debate as to the best way round to fit the bolts which attach the back plate and steeering arms to the stub axle, however I cannot locate the article. Is it best fit the bolt heads externally or inside the back plates?

Peter

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  19:57:40  Show Profile
Hi Peter bolt heads inside and nuts outside. Thats how MG did it.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2006 :  21:59:17  Show Profile
Terry

Thanks. I'll stick with the original MG way.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Pat B

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2006 :  15:03:09  Show Profile
Peter, I was always taught ( during my aircraft engineering apprenticeship ) to put the bolt through the fixed part of the job and the nut on the part that you are attaching. I appreciate in your case the 'fixed' part is in the middle of two 'loose' parts but the 'MG' way would be the correct way as the head of the bolt would be closer to the fixed part ie: the stub axle, due to the thickness of the backplates being less than that of the steering arms.

Actually, a similar principle also applies when wirelocking components ie: you start from the 'anchor' point (or fixed point) and finish off on the nut.....and if you really want to be pedantic 8-12 twists per inch !

Hope that might be of some help.
Pat.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2006 :  20:28:00  Show Profile
Pat

Thanks for adding the 'logic' to the answer. It is always good to know 'why' as well as 'what'. And it makes sense it ie it is what you would naturally do given a 50-50 situation. However I do have at the back of my mind an article debating the point for this particular application. However I cannot find the article in any book nor on this forum nor the VSCC forum so perhaps I dreamt it. Any way it will be bolt heads inside to be as near the stub axle as possible.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2006 :  21:56:58  Show Profile
Paul

Good safety thought. On the same subject, what locking device did MG fit to the steering arm nuts. Just a split washer?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2006 :  10:06:54  Show Profile
Is there also not an issue with minimal clearance between the hub and the backplate, which is why the bolts have a special 'thin' head?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2006 :  10:34:01  Show Profile
Andy You are correct the two short bolts have thin heads however the longer bolts which pass through the steering arms do not.

Today I have at long last received a copy of the Heritage CD for Pre-war MGs, which functions correctly. In it there is a Service sheet re the steering arms bolts. However it is applicable to TCs and not to MMM cars. The service sheet states that the bolts should be reversed with the heads on the outside and the nuts should be secured with a tab washer inside the backplate. This is considered to be preferable to securing them with a split washer on the outside. So it is comforting to know that I am not going senile. Right subject but wrong car. Does the fact that this is only considered appropriate for TCs mean that MMM drivers are expendable?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2006 :  19:59:55  Show Profile
I've taken a lot apart and they have all had the nuts on the outside. They mave have used thicker bolt heads on the P-type, but certainly M/J etc had thin headed bolts. I've never really thougt about it - I've just put them back the way they came off. I'd certainly renew the bolts though with some good HT ones + new nuts and spring washers.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2006 :  20:29:20  Show Profile
Andy

Perhaps I did not word my previoius post very carefully. I only know what my car has today, not what it had when it left the factory. Based on other horrors which I have found (like a soft 'thrust' washer in the pinion assembly and a missing bearing spacer in one of the front hubs), what I find is not necessarily correct. I am new to MMM so this is the only car on which I have worked. Hence my many questions. When it comes to steering arms you have to get it right. I will use thin heads to make sure there are no clearance problems and fit new fasteners as you recommend. Thanks for your help.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2006 :  09:52:35  Show Profile
Whilst working on my rear hubs, I noticed that there is very little clearance between the bearing carrier and the backplate which necessitate the use of thin headed bolts for the backplate mounting bolts. The front hubs have lots of clearance. So perhaps the confusion was caused by front v rear hubs rather than differences between models?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2006 :  11:28:32  Show Profile
Peter,

I found sufficient clearance between the rear hubs and backplate bolts to fit lip seals. There is about ten thou clearance between the seal suppot ring, which I soft soldered to the recess in the back of the hub, and the bolt heads. I must point out though that I had to order particularly thin seals. The car has not been used yet and if I find the support ring touches the bolt heads due to flexing when cornering I will file off the stamping marks of the heads.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000