Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Old photos of SW4156
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  09:39:05  Show Profile
I was looking for something in the garage yesterday, and came across these old photos of a J2. They are copies of photos originally found by Ashley Strachan, who was very active in Triple M circles in Scotland 20 years ago, but who now pursues other interests (yes, I know, I don't get it either). I don't recall ever identifying the driver.

A good action shot, probably of a hillclimb, with apparently an unsealed road surface. I have no idea where, but the hill in the background should be a clue, as is the date, May 19th 1949, and the time, 51.8s. I'm guessing somewhere in Scotland.

This looks like a driving test. Again I have no idea where.

Insert Image:

Same car again. I have posted this one before. Clearly at Bo'ness, with Kinneil House in the background. This one is dated September 1946.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  12:01:19  Show Profile
Colin

According to the Register of CArs listing, this is J2338, an extant car!

It's shown as having been in the ownership of Brian Galbraith since 1966. The annotation reads "rally history"

Perhaps our illustrious Registrar could add some details and maybe but you in touch with the owner?

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  14:35:51  Show Profile
Hi Colin

Nice photos and that is a neat tail out action shot.

I am sure photos of this car have been previously posted on this web site? The reason I mention this Is I recall seeing the unusual position of the rear mudguards fitted with aluminium stone guards. The wings seem to have been rotated to bring the front edge lower?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  16:02:25  Show Profile
George,

I have previously posted the last pic, but not the other two, according to my list of photos already loaded that comes up when I go to post a pic.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6025 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  17:00:10  Show Profile
George, are you thinking of this thread that Colin started before?

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6445&SearchTerms=J2,Northumberland
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1714 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  17:55:22  Show Profile
I think the wings might be cut down 4 seater ones...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  18:08:04  Show Profile
Looks to me like the front of the rear wings have been extended down. The spats on the front wings were quite a common extra. Judging by position of the headlamps and the windscreen frame this is quite an early car. Lovely pics.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6025 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  18:17:54  Show Profile
Looking at the spats on the rear wings in the photo on the thread I linked to a couple of posts above, they seem to have simply been fitted in such a way as to effectively lengthen the front of the wing, certainly when compared to the very similar spats on my car in its youth. Perhaps the same was done in this case?
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  18:43:40  Show Profile
Still active North of the border:

JH

Previous thread here:
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5196&SearchTerms=j2338

Edited by - JMH on 15/04/2013 18:58:21
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  23:11:35  Show Profile
Some info about this car, which I have owned since 1966.
This is actually the first time I have seen any old pictures of my car!
J2338 Reg SW4156 in Dumfries in March 33, built in October 32.
Chassis file details several owners in Scotland, but none in Northumberland.
The car was complete but derelict when bought from Jack Wilton, a Belfast funeral director, who also was disposing of a C type. My dear old Dad reckoned the C was in worse shape, so that's why we went for the J2....

The wings are all genuine J2, absolutely normal, and attached as normal, but with steel additions. If anyone knows another car with similar, please let me know.

The extensions to the rears are butt welded onto the front lower edges of the original rear wings. The added pieces are not quite the same both sides, and it is unlikely they were available "off the shelf", probably home made. I found no sign of the "aluminium looking" parts shown in the photos. Perhaps covers of some sort?

The fronts are also original J2, with the "spats" merely welded onto the inner edges. They are definitely not D or F wings! Both sides are identical, so may have been commercially available. I've had all the car down to bare metal, and these additions to the wings were clear to see. You can still see the joins underneath.

I think it is often good to keep early modifications in place. Why should this wee car lose some of it's particular identity? I could easily cut the extensions off, and then I would have a J2 that looked the same as everybody else, but I rather like having this little difference in my car. They are also great at keeping the mud off in trials!

Brian

Edited by - briang on 23/06/2013 23:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  15:56:46  Show Profile
Brian - please see my comments on the other thread "Northumberland J2". Email me your address if you would like the prints of two of these photos.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000