Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Pictures archive
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  09:14:25  Show Profile
The easy part:
It is clear to me there are many pictures of Triple-M cars in existence that should be gathered into one place. I would like to make it possible for any registered member to upload any pictures they might have, or have access to.
The hard part:
How to categorise them.

Here are some thoughts from Simon Johnston:-
It strikes me that there are a number of things we might want.
Factory photos from which we can draw our own conclusions about originality issues. I know that there is some work being done to scan the photos to which the Register has access, but this has been dragging on for some years now and I think it needs to be brought to a speedy conclusion. Such photos would simply be searchable by model type as chassis numbers and reg numbers wouldn't be particularly relevant. But of course one consequence of having them online would be the loss of any income from sales of prints. But as these haven't been available for years anyway, I doubt that this is a major issue. The other consideration might be copyright, but perhaps they are too old to be copyrighted any more?
Photos of known cars, whether currently still extant or not. These should perhaps be classified by model type, chassis number, registration number and, perhaps, previous and current owners and location. This would enable people to search for cars by any of these classifications or combinations of them, i.e. did J owner Joe Bloggs in Barnsley also own a P type! Forum members could upload additional photos for any given car, and also add further information and all of this could be cross referenced to the Register itself.
Photos of unknown cars, about which further information is sought. Ideally these ones would move eventually to the second category if enough information was provided. But otherwise they'd remain as unknown unknowns! Perhaps a sub Forum for initial queries and then the details added to the database as they become available?
Thank you Simon.

Clearly the starting point is:
1. Do you, the membership want this facility?

2. What categories of information should we have? (these categories will become the search criteria). If the is no information about a particular category then that should be left blank.

3. I like the idea of some sort of forum where it would be possible to discuss details of pictures, particularly those where little is known of or clear from the picture. We could easily add a new section to the discussion forum where a picture could be uploaded and anyone could then add details to assist in identification. Once some information is known then that picture would be moved to the appropriate section.

If have to state that this idea has not yet been discussed by the committee but I thought it might be useful to gather some ideas from you before presenting a plan to them.

Your thoughts please.
Nick

Webmaster

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  12:34:14  Show Profile
I think this is an excellent idea and would be a wonderful thing to have as a research tool.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  09:05:05  Show Profile
Brilliant idea, but a lot of work for someone - probably you . I have a set of photos of my PA being rebuilt, which i could upload, or send you a CD. This could be a useful reference point for other rebuilders. AFAIK this was its first full rebuild, so possibly useful for establishing certain points of originality.

I also have several photos I took of other peoples' P types at Silverstone in 1992 (I had only had mine a few years, and was gathering info).

Cross referencing the database would make it very useful, and no doubt you'll get lots of heading suggestions. At the risk of stating the obvious, when you set up the database, probably a good idea to have it so that further categories can be easily added later. No matter how carefully I think out possible heading for a database, there are always others that occur once it is set up.

As well as the headings you have suggested, a list of technical headings might be useful for photos of specific parts or installations. These might be in a sub-category of "technical".

These are just thoughts of the top of my head. Good luck with this one - I think it will prove very popular.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  11:00:19  Show Profile
I also think this is an excellent idea and long over due.

Keith Gosden
PA 0909 - 4 seat tourer
Register No. 0742
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  15:55:10  Show Profile
The idea of a photo record of each model and parts thereof is sort of already in process. Anyone who would like to contribute to this project, please let me know.

With two responses, I will take that as mandate to proceed with an outline.
How about we begin with creating a list of headings: Type, date of picture, place, venue, occupants, description.

Any extra headings you think we should have?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  16:22:11  Show Profile
I think, if possible, we need registration number, chassis number and owner. And is there a difference between place and venue? Maybe just location?
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1714 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  17:56:00  Show Profile
Nick

What I think important is to build up a library of photos to help with rebuilds.

The yellow MG in America was a case in point where there was lots of useful information to be had.

Thus I would propose headings such as body interior/exterior, chassis, etc so that people can look at the detail of other people's cars, and we might encourage the photographing of detail, down to type of screw and nail etc and original nuts, etc...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  06:45:21  Show Profile
Simon
Should we have owner at the time the picture was taken and current owner?
I thought we could use venue as in an event e.g. Beggars Roost or Place as in Staines High Street. Do we need to differentiate?

Peter - I will contact you off-line
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  09:05:34  Show Profile
Nick,

Some further thoughts!

Re owners, I think it would be good to have the possibility to put multiple owners to be searched.

Re location, I see what you mean and perhaps event (as in motoring event of some sort) and location/place as in street, city, even country?

Re the level of detail proposed by Peter, while for sure such detailed photos would be very useful, I'd be concerned at the level of complexity involved in adding too many search fields. And we all have different obsessions with detail - I've even heard of J2 owners wanting to find out about obscure things like half tonneau covers. Imagine! And trying to have too granular a search facility runs the risk of missing something because you didn't use exactly the correct search terms.

But perhaps the thing to do is to make a start on an outline structure on the basis of suggestions so far and see how it works?

Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  11:09:58  Show Profile
Hi Nick
My daughter and husband were on holiday in the UK a few weeks ago. They were at Dover Castle, there was a WW II Memorial event going on that day. She took a few photos of John Millers car. I have been told it is 2M2422. Is this the type of photos you would like. I do not see his car in the picture section. I also have a photo of a PA taken in 1979 in the USA.

Gary
J2 3670 & D 0263

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  11:39:52  Show Profile
It seems to me that this is exactly what we are looking for. The information that could be appended to the photo would be model, reg number, chassis number (subject to verification perhaps), location in photo and owner. Others could then chime in with more information such as year of model (we forgot that in the list above)and previous owners.

Any other thoughts?

P.S. And of course others could add additional photos of the same car.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/06/2013 11:58:00
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
425 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  14:24:11  Show Profile
Hi all, good ideas all around. I 'd like to add date of photo to be able to judge if a certain fitting might be period or not.
regards
Sven
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3352 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  15:26:37  Show Profile
Gary - exactly the sort of pictures I would like captured. Ideally (assuming it was of 2M2422) then I would like to see these added to the Members' Cars section. But they could always be moved later. If John Mills reads this and it is your car, please send me a picture of your car along with the usual details and I will add it to the collection then Gary can add the above images.

All great suggestions, thank you. I envisage a comments section where people could add comments - "I think that is PA1234 in the background" or "that looks like Brooklands, to me." This would be a good source of details that were not known or uncertain at the time the picture was added.

I imagine there would be a flexible search facility - all cars containing GX in their registration number, OR maybe all pictures taken at Brooklands between 1934 and 1939 as well as chassis number, registration number and so on.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  16:05:20  Show Profile
Nick,

I've just added a picture of Bob Walker's F Type that I took last year in Scotland. I have quite a few such pictures I've taken, both there & generally over the years but, before I go mad, is this the sort of thing you want?

Cheers

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
938 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  16:50:28  Show Profile
I was at the Motor Museum at Backbarrow, Cumbria, and took a couple of detailed video studies of their M type. Can we find a way to run this or is it better to load it to YouTube and just post a link here?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  17:13:04  Show Profile
Might it be that 'Comments' could be a bit debatable?

'Matching numbers car' by the owner might be valuable, but, if comments are open access, 'That looks like a rotten rebuild', by 'Anon'. might cause strife.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000