Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Tyre age.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  23:57:44  Show Profile
Is there a view/advice about the recommended age of tyres for road or track use fitted to Triple-M cars?

Reference: The Caravan and Motorhome Club advice:
" However, two ... factors can make them deteriorate in a different way, even with careful use.

*All tyres age and deteriorate due to exposure to sunlight and atmosphere, even if not used.

*Being stored for long periods of the year without use can put undue strain on one particular part of the tyre.

*It should go without saying that tyres which are damaged or worn to the legal minimum tread depth must be replaced immediately.
*Tyres need regular replacement, irrespective of their visual appearance. We recommend that you replace your caravan tyres when they reach five years old and should never be used when more than seven years old.

*If your tyres need a high inflation pressure (50 psi or more), you should check regularly for signs of deterioration from three years old and should not be used when they reach five years.

*Remember Ė the tyres age starts from when it was made, not from when it was fitted."

Should not this advice hold true for all tyres .... including those with inner tubes? ........ please discuss.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 11/02/2019 23:59:31

sullivan

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  00:26:58  Show Profile
Hello Bruce

My son is with Bridgestone/Firestone Corp. here is their recommendations
http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/number-tire-age-recommendations-grows-bridgestone-firestone-latest-entry

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
940 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  07:46:29  Show Profile
I think the FIA recommended tyres are changed every five years even if the tread was good. Don't think anyone does it though.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
940 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  07:55:19  Show Profile
Thank you Brian. Very interesting. Of course if we all changed our tyres more frequently the used tyre problem would grow even worse.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
567 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  09:45:56  Show Profile
Counting the dead casings seen on the verges (usually) on a motorway journey can be a way of keeping the kids entertained; the numbers per mile can be surprisingly high. The great majority appear to be commercial vehicles and appear to have delaminated.

So, it would appear to be a real problem with modern traffic loads and speeds. It is difficult to extrapolate from this to modern tyre materials when used for the loadings of pre-war vehicles.

Are there any helpful anecdotes for the form and occurrence of structural failure in our style of tubed tyres?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
3303 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  11:46:27  Show Profile
The answer, of course, is to use our cars more! Iíve done about 12,000 miles on a set of Blockleys over a five/six year period which has just about worn them out. So the tyres need replaced even if they arenít aged. The spare, however, has never been used but Iíll keep it until the next tyre change in another five or six years. Iím sure it will suffice, if need be, to limp safely to a tyre repair shop.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
984 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  14:16:17  Show Profile
After 3 seasons, racing only so pretty low mileage, but hard abuse! Time to replace Blockleys. I guess it depends how you drive!

I replace inners when I replace Tyres.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2019 :  12:05:28  Show Profile
The J2 had Dunlops on it when I bought it in 2005,and they had very little wear as the previous owner had rarely used the car and merely polished it in his garage next to his Ferrari! I suspect they might have been about 5 years old then. However,in 2016 they started to crack on the sidewalls (although they still had plenty of tread) and I replaced them with Excelsiors from Longstone Tyres,which are very similar to Blockleys and handle well. I think the Dunlops had only done about 4,000 miles in total.

The Austin 7 has Avons fitted which I put on in about 1996. I check them regularly and they have no sidewall cracking and still have plenty of tread. They have done about 8,000 miles but obviously at Austin 7 speeds.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2019 :  13:58:19  Show Profile
Everybody worries too much. Our PA has Dunlops which were stored from new(wrapped up in the dark)for at least 20 years. There are a few signs of side wall cracking but nothing like as bad as tyres I used to use 50yrs ago!
The car handles well in both dry and wet conditions and given the car does less than 1k miles a year I'm certainly not chucking the tyres away. Costs 2 quid each to get the local tip to take them.....good for another 20yrs ,plenty of patina by then.Tony
Go to Top of Page

John Adams

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  10:46:00  Show Profile
Bruce Sutherland asked how long our tyres last in use. Here is my story.

When I bought my PA in the mid 1960's, the cost of a set of new Dunlop's was more than I had paid for the car. So I went to my local Army Surplus store and bought a set of five 4.00-19 Firestone's for the princely sum of £2-17-6d each. I can't remember if that included tubes. They looked very period on the car and it handled beautifully. I did use other tyres for racing and trials, but otherwise the Firestone's have been used regularly on the road until very recently. Just a few years ago I thought they were looking a bit tired, and invested in a set of 4.50-19 Blockley's. The best of the Firestone's I gave to a local chum who has a J2 which doesn't do many miles. That just left one of the originals which had always been on the spare, and where it remains now. It has been called upon only rarely - I suppose I should have rotated them. Here are some photos I took yesterday.

There are no apparent signs of cracking or perishing. Apart from the familiar ex-WD broad arrow, it bears the legends "Firestone 4.00-19 gum dipped all non skid Heavy Duty" There are also some white stencilled numbers whiich I am told were army store numbers. The tread remaining is 9mm which compares with my measurement of 6mm on a brand new 4.50-19 Blockley - I wonder where that will be in 70 years?

So, some questions. In view of the new 6 year rule, should I throw this tyre away? It does seem a pity. And according to Tony Dolton, my local tip will charge me £2.00 for the privilege.
Did anybody else buy ex-WD tyres in period and are they still in use today? There was a large heap available when I bought mine.
Does anyone know what military vehicles might have used 4.00-19 knobbly tyres in war service?

Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  12:18:00  Show Profile
John , they would have been used on most of the War Department motorcycles. My Triumph TRW had them , and after cutting one on a sharp kerb , I indented for one via MOD Ordnance sources and had great difficulty getting one . So scarce in the 70's even within the Ministry of Defence ! I would now love to find a set for my M type.
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  15:39:24  Show Profile
I have been told by a chemist that modern tires don't have the carbon / sulphur (environmental) content and that is why modern tires rot away in a few years. Thus old tires may last much longer than newer tires.
Dan

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Chris Healey

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2019 :  14:31:55  Show Profile
I think the last post says a lot. Older tyres were made of a stuff called real rubber and they were designed to last. I have just fitted a set of tyres to my morris 8. They are John Bull brand 4.50x17 and were purchased 50 years ago. They were stored by me in the dark in a cool place and wrapped up. I have examined them carefully before fitting and the rubber is supple with no signs of cracking on the walls or tread. Also, no signs of delaminating and the internal cords are fine. I am sure that an "expert" in the tyre trade will immediately rubbish all that I have said as they want to sell more tyres. Yes, the modern car tyre is probably designed with a "life" built in, as are most things these days but all modern car tyres are high performance radial tyres whereas our cars run on crossplies with inner tubes and in general aren't expected to support a heavy high performance vehicle at 140 mph on the autobahn. Rant over !
Go to Top of Page

simon

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  12:29:43  Show Profile
Regarding Ian's comment about discarded tyres on the road verges, I hate to admit it but that is where I used to find the tyres for my then VW Beetle which had 16" wheels (this was an ex army 1946 LHD very basic device) and I could find tyres with good tread and stick a gaiter in where there was a split. It's what we had to do then as a £3 a week national serviceman. Shocking, shocking!
Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  12:58:26  Show Profile
Alas the use of Alligator skin is frowned upon in most circles these days.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2019 :  19:18:35  Show Profile
If I couldn't see any canvas I had a good tyre.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2019 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000